Ants!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Ants!

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:03 am

Just a warning...be aware of ants as well as ticks right now if In the woods. Was trying to reset a stand today and narrowly avoided a major attack. Climbing the tree and next thing I know I had probably 50 or more on me before I knew what happened. I noticed them on the tree but didn't think too much of it at first.
Guess I'm gonna have to wait for a cooler day to get the stand down. They were the not so nice red ants, not the black ones.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Ants!

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:59 pm

One farm I hunt has lots of ant hills. They are about 2 feet tall and 2 feet across. Those stinking things will put the nippers on you if you disturb the hill.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:12 pm

We call them fire ants down this way. I know where a cedar hill is that use to be a good spot to hunt. Now it is just about covered in fire ants an all the cedars are dying.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:24 am

I see them mostly around cedars also. I checked online and borax looks to be a good and cheap killer. I plan on trying this as I don't want them spreading, there is one hill right next to a perfect bedding spot and I think that is why none bed there in summer.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 am

There are quite a few cedar trees on the farm with the ants. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:00 am

Stanley wrote:One farm I hunt has lots of ant hills. They are about 2 feet tall and 2 feet across. Those stinking things will put the nippers on you if you disturb the hill.

I have come across many of these on State Forest land. Hate to trip and fall on one in the dark! :shock:
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:21 am

Some people are DEATHLY allergic to them and don't know it until it's too late. Have to be careful in early season tree stands as well. I've been bitten 20 feet up. They nearly caused me to jump out that day.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:31 am

Lucky they didn't decide to charge you!

j/k :D I have had ants in the pants a couple times, not fun! I also had an experience with some biting ants once and dear god those were terrible. Once ants found an opening into a trail cam and completely ruined it by building a nest inside. Everything was packed so full of dirt and eggs I could not get it clean.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:18 am

I squish them with my index finger.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:34 am

PK_ wrote:I squish them with my index finger.

Me go now Kemosabe. ;) :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”