Observation stands

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Observation stands

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:44 am

When or what will make you decide to set up and use an observation stand?

How many times will you go without seeing the or a buck to say it's not worth hunting that area?
How many times do you need to see him before you move in to hunt?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Re: Observation stands

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:40 am

I use observation stand if I suspect a shooter on the property and want to see his travel route.

I typically use observation stands prior to season.

If I am out of town hunting I have set observation stands in the afternoon. If I see a shooter I pinpoint where I need to set an ambush site and I move in the very next day if wind conditions are the same.

So many times if I see a buck one afternoon, he will usually been seen there another day or two if conditions are the same

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:33 am

What if you don't see him? Or don't see any deer movement, do you sit again, how many chances do you give it?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:07 am

If I'm local, I will give it a few afternoon sits if my wind is good.

If I'm out of state, I try to get a morning sit and evening sit in an ob stand before moving on. Usually my out of state hunts are pre rut or rut....that's why I do the am sits.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:23 am

a good observation point will be able to see deer very clost to there beds. And it will watch multiple bedding areas at once from a distance on the winds that the buck would bed there on. If I don't see a shooter I move. Sitting in an observation stand in consecutive sits gains little. There should at least be a week between sits. You can sit them more than your kill positions because your back where it don't effect the bedding. In a lot of cases I can shoot a doe (if the population allows) or even get lucky on a nice buck at an observation stand. It don't hurt to put a food plot under an observation tree...
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:46 am

dan wrote:a good observation point will be able to see deer very clost to there beds. And it will watch multiple bedding areas at once from a distance on the winds that the buck would bed there on. If I don't see a shooter I move. Sitting in an observation stand in consecutive sits gains little. There should at least be a week between sits. You can sit them more than your kill positions because your back where it don't effect the bedding. In a lot of cases I can shoot a doe (if the population allows) or even get lucky on a nice buck at an observation stand. It don't hurt to put a food plot under an observation tree...

So if you do not see the expected buck after one sit, do you move stands or vacate to hunt a different buck somewhere else under the thought that the target buck is not in the area?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 am

I keep moving till I find him... By not gettin g my scent in there, he may show up in a few days, or a week, or who knows when, but he won't smell i have been there... People really underestimate the damage of human scent... If you only hunt a spot when he is showing himself, your odds go way up from hunting him by playing a guessing game like we have to most of the time getting our scent in there whan we guess wrong.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am

dan wrote:I keep moving till I find him... By not gettin g my scent in there, he may show up in a few days, or a week, or who knows when, but he won't smell i have been there... People really underestimate the damage of human scent... If you only hunt a spot when he is showing himself, your odds go way up from hunting him by playing a guessing game like we have to most of the time getting our scent in there whan we guess wrong.

Excellent point! I saw firsthand 2 years ago, the effect of residual scent when I had cut a shooting lane and hunted the tree the next morning. Buck got within 20 feet of where I trimmed (I used gloves and all scent protection measures), slammed on the brakes and immediately went on alert. I could have shot him but he was not the one however, it was a learning experience seeing how he reacted to my scent from the prior day. Also, the wind that day was well in my favor so I know it was from the trimming.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”