Deer bedding in Corn

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Deer bedding in Corn

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:36 am

titan23_87 wrote:
dan wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I personally have watched mature bucks step out of the cornfields a half hour before dark to feed in the alfalfa fields... This is in hill country for me, and when the mosquito's are really bad in the woods, I guess I just figured they are doing it to get away from them...

I have seen that a lot in the summer around the areas I hunt most, but fall they are generally in the swamp... It is VERY common for bucks to bed on the edge of corn, and then enter the corn when the rise and come out some place else. If there bedding in corn, you should be able to find those beds.
I hunted a plaCE IN Illinois once and saw bucks bedding on a pretty regular basis in corn mixed with grass, but there was a heavy population, heavy pressure, and very little cover. And still most bedded right on the edge or at some kind of cover, not really within the corn.

Dan- when bedding on the edge of the corn, Or in the example I’m looking at a small clump of trees and grass in the middle of the corn. How are they most likely to bed? Nose and eyes to the corn, or nose and eyes back to the grass/trees?

Looking down wind. If there is an opening they will be on the up wind side looking down wind. If its heavy thick cover it could be noise based rather than vision in which they still look down wind, but eyes are of little use.

Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:10 am

Don't ignore power poles in the middle of cornfields grassy knolls. I have kicked some really nice bucks off of them combining corn. One I was really pissed I didn't have the rifle with me as he sat there looking at the combine for 5 minutes.
titan23_87

Unread postby titan23_87 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:18 pm

dan wrote:
titan23_87 wrote:
dan wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I personally have watched mature bucks step out of the cornfields a half hour before dark to feed in the alfalfa fields... This is in hill country for me, and when the mosquito's are really bad in the woods, I guess I just figured they are doing it to get away from them...

I have seen that a lot in the summer around the areas I hunt most, but fall they are generally in the swamp... It is VERY common for bucks to bed on the edge of corn, and then enter the corn when the rise and come out some place else. If there bedding in corn, you should be able to find those beds.
I hunted a plaCE IN Illinois once and saw bucks bedding on a pretty regular basis in corn mixed with grass, but there was a heavy population, heavy pressure, and very little cover. And still most bedded right on the edge or at some kind of cover, not really within the corn.

Dan- when bedding on the edge of the corn, Or in the example I’m looking at a small clump of trees and grass in the middle of the corn. How are they most likely to bed? Nose and eyes to the corn, or nose and eyes back to the grass/trees?

Looking down wind. If there is an opening they will be on the up wind side looking down wind. If its heavy thick cover it could be noise based rather than vision in which they still look down wind, but eyes are of little use.

7B0F9725-5445-41AC-A580-C65409CCADDF.jpeg

Yeah so must likely the thicker corn field would be at their back while using visual or noise looking back into the trees and grass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birddog00

Unread postby Birddog00 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 pm

dan wrote:

I also have hunted a large farm in Southern MI where it was mostly tree lines and ditch rows separating corn fields. I was able to shoot two bucks one morning in a corn field. I am not 100% sure they had bedded down yet or if they were still moving to there beds, I could hear them fighting earlier in the morning in the middle if the corn field. But this field also had a back corner that had stayed pretty wet and the weeds and fox tail had kept the corn low and it was a lot like a big CRP field at that point. I'll leave the Beast post youtube link to that hunt.

viewtopic.php?f=189&t=55434
titan23_87

Unread postby titan23_87 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 am

titan23_87 wrote:
dan wrote:
titan23_87 wrote:
dan wrote:

7B0F9725-5445-41AC-A580-C65409CCADDF.jpeg

Yeah so must likely the thicker corn field would be at their back while using visual or noise looking back into the trees and grass.

353C0C22-57AE-4684-BC46-ACBF897D01F2.jpeg

Does everyone agree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:50 am

agree
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:52 am

Yup! agree also

• Advertisement