Going beyond Dan's DVDs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Going beyond Dan's DVDs

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:37 am

I think Dans DVDs are an absolutely great tool to get hunters a introduction to beast style hunting. I know personally it has helped my tons in locating bucks especially better quality bucks. Also has helped in understanding where and why bucks bed they way the do.

Taking to the field with the "basic concept" of what Dan and others here are trying to share, shortens the learning curve years faster than what I think a hunter can learn on his own.

That being said, I would like to pick the brains of some of you guys that are really good with cyber scouting or map reading areas that are completely unknown to you.

Taking a map, marking the potential bedding points, potential hunting spots can clutter a hill country map fast. You will soon be looking at a map with 15+ bedding areas and multible hunting spots.

How do you narrow where you suspect the best bedding on the property to be.

I am referring to a piece of property that doesnt have another soul hunting it... so toss out hunting pressure, easy access, etc etc.

Is there something about how a ridge or point lays, how many potential beds are within a certain number of acres, the possiblity that the bed is unhuntable, etc etc

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Going beyond Dan's DVDs

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 pm

If you remove pressure... Thick on top from the thermal tunnel back. A good spot to bed with a block to back and vision in front. Near the food, with the point pointing away from the dominant wind direction. So if your most common wind is N.W. a point pointing S.E.
a tip where the buck can move around the radious and have wind to back for most common winds. So in my area the common wind is N.W., but NORTH, SOUTH, & WEST are all common, so if he can shift around the radious of the point and cover all of those in one spot, he will feel safer there. And, if a short walk without exposing himself to badly will put him covered for and east wind, all the better.
backstraps

Re: Going beyond Dan's DVDs

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks Dan, that makes perfect sense. I think I may have asked you the same question before. I get caught up in the amount of beds I actually locate now when I get boots on the ground of the land I have cyber scouted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”