Cyber Scouting - Really?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Cyber Scouting - Really?

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Fri May 22, 2015 9:30 am

I've read a lot of posts about cyber scouting and can certainly see it as a first step in finding good areas. However I was reading through a couple posts today about DIY hunts in other states and cyber scouting came up again. I have a few questions:

1.) How can someone with a 5-10 day out of state hunt rely on cyber scouting to go to an area unseen and expect there to be deer - even more trophy bucks. Sounds WAY too simple to me. Most of the time even after real scouting I rarely see the bucks I am after. Maybe I'm just no good at this!

2.) For those of you that cyber scout an area, how many times has that area turned out the way you expected it to?

3.) Do you make a trip to an out of state hunting area before the hunt to do boots on the ground scouting? I think I would!

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Cyber Scouting - Really?

Unread postby dan » Fri May 22, 2015 10:24 am

I would much rather have boots on the ground the spring before... But I have done well cyber scouting. If you understand how bucks bed, and you understand how other hunters hunt, its not as bad as your perceiving... Yea, sometimes you get to a spot and it ain't what you perceived, but you have back ups and you scout a little, & glass a little too. There have been many times I picked a spot on a map and went to it and shot a buck the 1st time ever there... The last buck I shot was that exact scenario... Picked a point of an island that showed heavy trails coming from suspected beds to the point, went out there and shot a nice buck 1st sit...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:31 am

From talking with others that have done this for elk ,also talking with the local biologist. Can help you to figure if the area holds the type of trophy your seeking. Some even call local taxidermy shops and sporting goods stores.

This might not pin down exact locaations but cyber scouting should help with that.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 pm

This does sound like its too easy but it can be done. I looked over a local thick area from computer and BINGO.
As a test of the knowledge I walked straight to suspected bedding during hunting season but without gear, midday.
Deer popped up and ran and in a matter of minutes I found my first CYBERSCOUTED bed. First ANY bed honestly. And it was easy.

Now hunting and killing is what we are really after and THAT takes work

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via Android ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/Android.png[/img]
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri May 22, 2015 2:09 pm

I feel the more you scout the better you'll be hunting only using cyber scouting. When scouting I pick apart the land before heading out with maps, most if the time my assumptions are correct. The more you do this the better you'll be cyber scouting a piece and being in the right tree, it just keeps building confidence.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri May 22, 2015 3:07 pm

I went on an out of state hunt last year. I used what I learned about topography and hill country from the beast. Two spots were busts. The third spot, a mile back had a huge scrape, three big rubs, I kicked up a bedded deer AND walked up on the the only other hunter (one truck in the parking lot) and this guy was a local. The guy was really surprised to see someone that far back in his honeyhole. I snuck back out the way I came in (and I apologize if this was a beast member, hahaha). Long story, that made me a believer in cyber scouting. It's not bulletproof, but it can definitely get you in the ballpark.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Simply put, it is better than nothing. If you are gong out of state, lots of guys do rut hunts. You can often tell a lot by the lay of the land. Way better than back in the day when you knocked on a door and hunted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Cyber scouting helps me eliminate a lot of unproductive land and helps me focus on particular spots. I have done this many times hunting out of state or other areas that are too far away to scout on a single day trip.

I have killed at least two bucks that I can think of that were strictly by cyber scouting along with numerous hunts that resulted in good buck encounters but no shot. Cyber scouting has been huge for me in many ways. Boots on the ground is best of course but don't overlook this as a legitimate way to get on some good spots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sat May 23, 2015 3:24 am

I think that might be the toughest thing about an out of state hunt. I have not done an out of state deer hunt, but went out to CO for elk last year. Very difficult to scout relying only on aerials, but it was better than nothing. Once I saw the terrain, it was different that what I expected and had to adjust.

I think you almost have to set aside some days to scout when you go out of state. It seems kind of crazy when you have a limited amount of time to get it done, but after doing one out of state hunt, I think I learned that scouting and coming up with 2-3 good sets is better than chasing around a lot of average sets. I don't know if I could actually do that. Having hte patience to find a really good set is difficult for me.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat May 23, 2015 4:44 am

I've had 4 encounters because of cyber scouting that I can remember, found several other hot spots by going in blind after a cyber scout. Like someone mentioned above once you really get the hang of this kind of hunting it gets easier to pick spots on a map. The key is zero expectations, you just have to head in and see what it there and use your best judgement based on sign or a gut feeling. If you don't find the goods or find other hunter sign don't let it get you down because you only waisted one hunt but you learned a lot about a new area and maybe you narrowed down a big chunk of land. The next spot you are eyeing up might hold something better. I always reserve 3-5 hunts a year for going in blind, it's really a lot of fun to do this and a heck of a challenge.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:27 am

Because I was a transplant to Montana I didn't have any backround on where to hunt when I moved there. I found out that most of the places "locals" told me to go had more hunting pressure than I wanted to deal with. While this was before me personally having or knowing how to use a computer. I still studied Public land maps and then topo's to help me find my own Personal honey hole.

Because of my work schedule I only got one chance to pre scout it with boots on the ground. This was for elk. So what I was looking for was different than whitetails. But my "cyber scouting" helped me have a great first season there with many close calls on bulls.

Like someone else said practice on stuff at home until your very confident in what your doing. I have to agree being new at this myself it's a little confusing. But like I've done with other hunting tactics I eventually figured it out and got a system that worked for me.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:54 am

I will just say this - I have posted three pics on here and asked for advice - Dan, who has no clue where I hunt, looked at them, made a few marks and then I went out and scouted. I jumped deer and/or found beds in almost every spot he suggested. So yes I believe it can be done - I just ain't where Dan is ..... YET BUT I WILL BE :)
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat May 23, 2015 12:13 pm

This scouting is serving 2 purposes really.
Obviously getting a good spot for a kill.
But also getting some talent developed and getting away from just HUNTING is the best thing.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat May 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Another way to use cyber scouting is to review your current hunting locations and to mark the good-to-great areas. Notice the terrain/topography and apply that to unscouted public land to narrow things down.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat May 23, 2015 3:11 pm

I've had great results with this. But I combine it with in season scouting. Nothing beats "right now sign" and if I find it in a area I believe a big buck is coming from it often produces in a great hunt. I'll have a bunch of areas I want to check that are cyber scouted and then let the sign dictate where I go.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”