Question for you all about a property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zone11MA

Question for you all about a property

Unread postby Zone11MA » Wed May 20, 2015 6:39 am

I have been scouting an area and have found plenty of deer sign and it's definitely looking like a good place to hunt. The problem is that the property is stocked with pheasant and the pheasant season opens up at the same time as bow season for deer.

Is there any hope to hunt this area with all of the expected pheasant hunting activity? Should I look somewhere else? I have thought about where the deer would go assuming they will all be spooked from the shotguns. Is that a no brainer? How far away would be a good distance from the pheasant hunters?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Question for you all about a property

Unread postby Czabs » Wed May 20, 2015 6:41 am

What does the land consist of? Is it all CRP fields? Agriculture? Wooded? Swamps?
Zone11MA

Unread postby Zone11MA » Wed May 20, 2015 6:47 am

there are crop fields surrounded by woods then giving way to the swamp which is what this property mainly is made up of.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 am

There is always hope. The abundance of sign indicates that the pheasant hunter aren't driving out the property. Focus on areas where people don't want to walk. In your case, it's likely too thick to easily walk, above the boots wet, etc.

Now is also a good time to inventory the property with cameras and analyze the bird hunting pressure. If the cameras indicate a good buck bedding on the property, hunt the escape route from his primary bed taking advantage of any terrain funnels away from the pressure.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 20, 2015 7:01 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:There is always hope. The abundance of sign indicates that the pheasant hunter aren't driving out the property. Focus on areas where people don't want to walk. In your case, it's likely too thick to easily walk, above the boots wet, etc.

Now is also a good time to inventory the property with cameras and analyze the bird hunting pressure. If the cameras indicate a good buck bedding on the property, hunt the escape route from his primary bed taking advantage of any terrain funnels away from the pressure.

If your lucky, there is a portion of the property that is untouched by the bird hunters. In this case, the pressure may be a good thing as there is the potential the bedding will he stacked. However don't be surprised if he leaves the area...

Zone11MA

Unread postby Zone11MA » Wed May 20, 2015 7:23 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:There is always hope. The abundance of sign indicates that the pheasant hunter aren't driving out the property. Focus on areas where people don't want to walk. In your case, it's likely too thick to easily walk, above the boots wet, etc.

If your lucky, there is a portion of the property that is untouched by the bird hunters. In this case, the pressure may be a good thing as there is the potential the bedding will he stacked. However don't be surprised if he leaves the area...

I have been scouting some islands about a mile away from the crop fields in the swamps in hopes that the deer may stay out that way during the day. I have marked up many beds there already.

Thanks for your input.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed May 20, 2015 10:37 am

opening day of pheasant season is great if it's during deer season. get in early and they will push deer to you.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed May 20, 2015 12:18 pm

How sure are you that it even gets hunted for Pheasants? Is it Public or Private? How long does the Pheasant season last?
if its a short season for pheasants than maybe wait them out and hunt it later in the season or if not than get in before them on opening day and wait for the show to begin like someone already mentioned :D
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed May 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Day of opener- I am not a pheasant hunter but I wouldn't imagine an "upland" bird hunter walking through a swamp for pheasants. If there is heavy pressure by pheasant hunters I would focus out in the swamps, thick/wet areas. If you know its getting heavy pressure by pheasant hunters sitting past the time the pheasant season opens would be wise as well.

If it continuously gets hit and theres a bunch of bird hunters spreading their scent around the crop fields and field edges during the day I would focus on hunting specific beds you have found and secluded oak trees away from the pressure early.
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Thu May 21, 2015 2:16 am

Use the pheasant hunters as your pushers. Setup on escape route to swamp and arrow the big one. Approach the stand from the opposite direction and get the EARLY. Good luck
Zone11MA

Unread postby Zone11MA » Thu May 21, 2015 2:46 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:opening day of pheasant season is great if it's during deer season. get in early and they will push deer to you.

Pheasant opens with deer season here. I will be set up early for sure. Thanks!
Zone11MA

Unread postby Zone11MA » Thu May 21, 2015 2:49 am

Gibby wrote:How sure are you that it even gets hunted for Pheasants? Is it Public or Private? How long does the Pheasant season last?
if its a short season for pheasants than maybe wait them out and hunt it later in the season or if not than get in before them on opening day and wait for the show to begin like someone already mentioned :D

This is public land that is stocked with pheasant. I'm haven't hunted this land yet but I imagine that there will be plenty of activity. I've seen some people out there with their dogs while I have been out scouting. Thanks for the info!
Zone11MA

Unread postby Zone11MA » Thu May 21, 2015 2:50 am

Czabs wrote:Day of opener- I am not a pheasant hunter but I wouldn't imagine an "upland" bird hunter walking through a swamp for pheasants. If there is heavy pressure by pheasant hunters I would focus out in the swamps, thick/wet areas. If you know its getting heavy pressure by pheasant hunters sitting past the time the pheasant season opens would be wise as well.

If it continuously gets hit and theres a bunch of bird hunters spreading their scent around the crop fields and field edges during the day I would focus on hunting specific beds you have found and secluded oak trees away from the pressure early.

thanks for the tips!
Zone11MA

Unread postby Zone11MA » Thu May 21, 2015 2:51 am

Ruger wrote:Use the pheasant hunters as your pushers. Setup on escape route to swamp and arrow the big one. Approach the stand from the opposite direction and get the EARLY. Good luck

Thanks Ruger. I will definitely be using that strategy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”