Help with new area - am I on track

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Help with new area - am I on track

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:26 am

Scouting a new area this weekend. I marked the areas I think bucks should bed and just want to bounce it off a few of your more experienced folks to see if I am focusing in on the right areas or if I am missing other ley areas. I plan on walking most of the transitions but really focusing on the areas I marked with red. As always, I appreciate you more experienced beast hunters feedback.

yellow lines are property boundary lines and red lines outline areas I believe may be preferred buck bedding

Gibby
500 Club

Re: Help with new area - am I on track

Unread postby Gibby » Wed May 20, 2015 12:29 pm

What wind direction are you expecting them to bed there on?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:42 pm

I think it will depend... But since they terms to walk into the wind to enter their beds I would think south/south west for most... But some may work with a north/north west wind

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Bump.... Would like some additional input getting ready to hear there this weekend

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu May 21, 2015 10:45 pm

I think you're on the right track. I think the area marked at the top of the page will be a bust, with that trail going through the area I doubt it will hold buck bedding/daylight movement. The property seems to have a lot of easy access from all directions unless what looks like human trails are something else, getting some boots on the ground will tell the story.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:31 am

purebowhunting wrote:I think you're on the right track. I think the area marked at the top of the page will be a bust, with that trail going through the area I doubt it will hold buck bedding/daylight movement. The property seems to have a lot of easy access from all directions unless what looks like human trails are something else, getting some boots on the ground will tell the story.

Thanks. That faint trail in the northern section is a horse trail and it does get used a little during the summer months by horse back riders. However, in three years of hunting this area I have never seen anyone hunt near the road and I always see does up close to the road so I am sure the bucks linger here during late Oct/early Nov. I think it is one of those areas that everyone drives past to get to the creek bottom?

I will have to take a look this weekend as the water has risen significantly in this area and I am not sure how much of the southern portions are now under water? I think if the water rises some more the big knob in the south west section (bottom left area I have highlighted) is going to be an awesome bedding area as there will be water on three sides of it and a very small bottleneck into and out of it. With a south wind these bucks are going to be feeling pretty confident they are walking into the wind while approaching their beds.... but with a southwest or southeast wind they are not as safe as they think :)
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat May 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Looks good to me, but I've never hunted in Texas. Good luck out there this weekend. I hope you find some good info.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”