playing thermals in the bottom of a ravine

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

playing thermals in the bottom of a ravine

Unread postby tbunao » Sun May 17, 2015 10:56 am

The situation is I found a good pinch point at the bottom of a ravine. Basically the left side of the creek is almost straight up and down. The right side of the creek has a decent incline and pretty damn thick. The ravine bottom runs from the NW to SE. The question how do you think the thermals act coming down both sides of the hill in the evening?

tbunao
500 Club

Re: playing thermals in the bottom of a ravine

Unread postby tbunao » Sun May 17, 2015 11:15 am

Do you think the thermals meeting at the bottom will create an almost thermal tunnel? Or maybe the thermals from the left side (steep side) would be stronger and would push up a little on the right side?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun May 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Need a topo to get a better handle on the situation.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun May 17, 2015 1:05 pm

they will go down the creek

edit: they SHOULD go down the creek.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun May 17, 2015 3:41 pm

That's an iffy one there. Morning and evening has it dropping and likely following the creek flow. Late morning till 45 minutes before dark has it rising.
Could come in through the creek an hour before dark then set up, but maps and leather would reviel that.

Not to say you can't hunt it, just would be selective. Maybe rut travel corridor and creap in as they are rising. All guesses without map.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 17, 2015 11:06 pm

If its wide and your away from the hill it "might work" but thermals going up fighting wind direction and then changing coming down from different directions, add in the water temp, and the shadows, and don't forget the vacuums created by wind over the top. you should have winds going in every direction... It can be done, but it is very difficult to kill mature bucks in tight valleys
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 18, 2015 3:53 am

Man that is a tough one. I had a great spot years ago similar to that. Those vertical barriers are tough. I never did kill a buck out of the spot I had. Like Dan said the wind is just too wishy-washy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon May 18, 2015 10:22 am

Here is the topo. I figured this would be a difficult situation and the wind would most likely be going every which way. The star marks the pinch. With how steep the side is and even has a small 8ft cliff running about 30yards on the left side and then the the right side adjacent to it is loaded with old trees left from logging back in 95 and basically forms a 100yard wall going to the west. I have walked straight down the center of that "wall" and have not seen any tracks or trails going through. I walked it last fall, winter, and spring. This single trail that goes through there is pretty beat. If the wind and thermals would be to much then I'll look further down the trail. Thanks for all the input.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed May 20, 2015 8:30 am

Any thoughts after posting the topo?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Go test it out on a wind you think will be right for it and bring your milkweed and see what happens
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 21, 2015 4:28 am

just food for thought without have actually walked it, my 1st impression is a trail down in that bottom would be looser ground which would hold sign better and longer, and it does not look like a cruising trail, which would be towards the top of those hills, so its likely a night trail... Unless your seeing different? I would either move closer to bedding, or the tops of the ridges...

I can remember a couple seasons ago hunting the top of a ridge and watching several bucks a day go thru a bottom forced by a rock wall landscape. I was hunting one of several trails that went thru the funnel. After a whole day of watching good bucks go thru on the wrong trail I decided ( against my better judgment) to try the bottom... I saw more bucks the next day down there than the day before... But every single one busted me no matter what direction it came from... I have seen that play out over and over... You need to get them where they travel up top, or where they either go up or down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”