Newbie Question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ehavs

Newbie Question

Unread postby ehavs » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:58 am

So I received the hill country DVD and love the fact that it really starts to narrow down where you should start your scouting. Especially with finding bedding areas by looking at the points. What I am a bit confused on is what is considered that 1/3rd of the way down from the top

If you take a look at the photo of a map I have posted here. You can see with the red dot a potential spot I may want to check out. This is 1/3rd of the way down to that low lying swamp which is roughly 200 feet from the top (circled in red).

Or should I be targetting and walking the areas that are a third of the way down from the top of the ridge all the way to the bottom which is circled in Black? This would be a difference of 560 feet.

Curious as to what I should consider my lowest spot relative to the point I am targeting and the most likely spot where that buck may bed.

Sorry if this is probably something I should have picked up from the forums here or the DVD but none the less was a question I had.

And if anyone is up to it... feel free to mark some spots that I may want to check out.

Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Newbie Question

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:41 am

Your red dot is about right... Look for the spot where the elevation starts to drop rapidly... Thats about where they bed. There is usually a gradual slope, and then a sharper drop called the Military crest... Thats where the beds should be... Rounded hills vary a bit more on exact height.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”