late summer/early fall observation scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

late summer/early fall observation scouting?

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 am

The concept seems simple and effective but has anyone found this method to not provide the desired results? For years myself and hunting buddies have sat far off the farms we hunt and glassed before dark or early morning with binos as a form of long range scouting but never could get tabs on mature deer. see a few does here and there. As most, the time went on and we started using trail cameras but since learning of the beast style/mobile hunting style Ive been wanting to go back to less intrusive long range glassing to target things such as food sources, potential bedding points, swales, secluded woodlots etc but is there a routine or set of ways that you have found to work?

thanks in advance

Bucky

Re: late summer/early fall observation scouting?

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:41 am

It works but you need a secluded farm field that mature deer feel comfortable walking out in daylight (I focus soley on soybeans and alfalfa)

I should have slammed one opening weekend now almost 3 yrs in a row... it worked this year twice, the year prior I blew it, two years ago I almost shot a 160"er (55 yards) out of the gate that my buddy shot the same week
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:04 am

thanks bucky! anyone else have some input
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:12 am

hunter10 wrote:thanks bucky! anyone else have some input

Bucky is right on... Observation stands or positions need to observe where big bucks move in daylight...
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:02 am

Not every property offers good glassing/observation stand options. I've wasted many hours glassing/scouting fields that the deer just never get to in daylight. They get close, but never there. What I've done the past few years is be sure to shine those areas shortly after dark. If the buck shows up within an hour of dark setting in, then I know he's probably killable from a pre-scouted bed nearby.

Trail cameras can come in really handy in some situations where glassing isn't working as well. Have to be smart with them, but they are great tools in some situations.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:02 am

Just a thought on this. Back where I grew up one of the neighboring farm families were known to be notorious poachers. Passing it down generation to generation. The generation at that time period did most of it while driving the back roads on summer evenings. Even though I had a license and a car I spent most of my summer evenings "looking for deer" while afoot. This allowed me to cut across and check areas away from roads but also made it easier to see tracks on the hard gravel roads. I found out that it gave me another advantage. Quietness. The first time I really noticed this was a hot early August evening. I was making my way down a gravel road that was paved up to a bridge crossing. The first plot of soybeans ever planted in the area was down about a mile from the bridge next to a small crop of corn. The first deer I saw was a large 10 pt. He had just come out of the corn into the soybeans. He was heading to a group of maybe 10 deer about 100 yards away. As he neared some of the deer seemed to be moving out of his way. That's when I noticed one of the deer was much taller than even the 10 pt. when he picked up his head I instantly thought "he's got a bushel basket on his head". Further observation showed 7 long tines per symmetrical side.
Now I finally get to the point of the story. All of a sudden they started to head into the corn. I checked the wind with a wet finger and it felt good yet. Then I heard it. A vehicle slowly coming down the rode. I also hid and just before the car cleared the corn field the last deer made it into the corn. The car had the 2 poaching brothers in it. One driving and one sitting in the middle of the back seat all windows rolled down. They drove on and within 5 minutes the deer started milling back out into the soybeans. This played out with 5 more different vehicles until I left when it got too dark to see. I've had this same scenario play out many times in different terrain and states.
So how does this apply to long range summer scouting? If the deer are using a field they might not show because of unusual noises like a vehicle coming down a road or pulling into a field and it's not something that happens on a consistent basis. Or like in my case they associate vehicles with danger because of poachers. Just like Dan points out that any strange bad noise can ruin a sit on a bed hunt. So can abnormal noises affect a long distance summer observation sit.
By the way the !4 pointer got killed 5 miles away during the bow season. He netted 177 and change. Here's a picture of the 10 pt. The neighbor kid got him during gun season. His first deer ever. He had started to try and follow me around that fall and shot him out of a tree he saw me use while bowhunting. [img][IMG]http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah302/Charles_Stasko/Top_zpsevnacroa.png[/img][/img]
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:29 am

Cool post Stash!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 am

Thanx KLEMZ. My last posts have been long drawn out stories. I was afraid they might turn members off. Oh and thanx Dewey for the advice on how to make a paragragh. I hope this one was easier to read because of it. It stinks being a self taught computer non-whizz.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Great post Stash! That's exactly how I envisioned bucks near roads to react.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Very true Stash. Most of my best sits in farm country during the early season are transitions going to spots not visible from the road even though the majority of the field is visible from the road.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Stash - you got it... fields with no road edge are where your mature bucks will feed.
I watched same thing happen in Manitoba... giant 150-170" velvet deer in large ag fields would take off if a vehicle slowed down on the all gravel roads

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Cool story and buck stash!

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:59 am

At one property I hope to set up a spotting scope above the river bottom crop fields. At long enough distance to see undisturbed activity.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”