Swamp Scouting Question ???

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LetMreap

Swamp Scouting Question ???

Unread postby LetMreap » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:30 pm

The picture below is a spot that I have never hunted, and after walking it just once I really want to try and hunt this buck bed I found. The map discloses what I have found on my first trip in. I know I need to walk it again to see if there are more beds in the swamp and also get a better idea on stand location(s), entry/exit and travel routes. Which leads right into my set of questions...

Where should I set up? How close should I get? When should I scout it again to determine if a buck is using this bed???

I would greatly appreciate any advice you guys can provide.

#---Aim Small Miss Small--->
remmag
500 Club

Re: Swamp Scouting Question ???

Unread postby remmag » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 pm

I am by NO means a expert. But on your next scouting trip I would make it a point to get down in the bed on the deer's level and try to determine his sight of view while bedded and most importantly, what wind he's using while in that bed. I noticed you drew a trail that looks like its going from the bed and heading nw to what I would guess is towards the food source, and then your entrance/exit trail is crossing this. I would try to find a way to set up without crossing any of his used trails if possible. Then again, it might not matter if you plan on harvesting him before he reaches that intersection. Just an observation. I'm sure more experienced members who look at this is gonna want more info in order to give you better advice..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:10 am

like you stand location for a north wind but don't like the entry, you scent will be hitting the buck on the way in and could tip him off. That might work ok for a west wind if you adjust you set more between the buck and the food. For a north would I would access on that road and loop around behind the buck so you scent never reaches him. As far as when you hunt a camera or large tracks in the filed or crossing the road to bedding should let you know when he is in the area.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:36 am

Looks to me like the better entry if it has to be from the N is from the left corner(west) of that field. Hard to say on stand sight with out know a little more info.. Try to verify the direction of travel, and specific route, when he leaves that bed.. Look for rubs, tracks, funnels, etc. another thing is get as close to that bed as possible. He may not travel far before dark... Those doe beds could also pose some issues w getting in close...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
LetMreap

Unread postby LetMreap » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 am

Thanks for advice guys. I know this is isn't a bullet proof spot and I definitely need to find out how the deer use it. I am heading out later this week to scout it again. I'll take pics. Thanks again!
#---Aim Small Miss Small--->

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”