trail cam and wind direction

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

trail cam and wind direction

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:57 am

How does everyone match up wind direction to their trail cam pics? I guess you could check the wind everyday and note the direction throughout the day but that would be a heck of a lot of work since most leave the cams out for months at a time. Is there a site that tells you every wind direction for the past say 6 months?

semperfidelis

Re: trail cam and wind direction

Unread postby semperfidelis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:35 pm

I've wondered this myself...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:38 pm

I've tried this some. So the ONLY time it is affective is when a deer is on a feeding-bedding pattern. Later Night pics are mostly irrelevant. It also takes very careful camera placement. It has to be positioned so you know for sure the direction of travel. It can be so that a deer walks around the camera so he's approaching from a random direction.

So I have had pretty good luck taking bucks opening day of bow using cameras. You need to figure out where the buck is feeding first then where he beds predominantly. Then you want to place your camera in between. This will help you verify his bedding and how often he beds there. You can also compare this to wind direction, moon, etc. you really just have to chart the weather then compare. I spends a month or two finding this perfect killable buck. I call my opening day buck. Then just take maybe 10-14 to analyze the info. Once they are off a feeding-bedding pattern, hunting pressure is on, breeding drive kicks in, it will make your info much more random. After bucks shed there velvet there ranges steadily expand up to the rut. This means the will bed in different beds more often and go to a different preferred food source more often. This will also help you lock down bucks core areas. Which is where you need to focus your efforts throughout the season to kill target bucks. Many guys get pics of monster bucks usually late at night, and never encounter that buck. The reason is they are hunting the outskirts of his area. It may even have really good sign. The point is just because he uses a spot does not mean he's killable there. Finding that early season core area IMO is crucial to patterning w trail cam. Trail cams can be the best tool in the world, and they can cause you a world of frustration and unanswered questions if not used right....,

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:43 pm

There is a web site that has past wind directions. I could not find it right off hand. I think Dewey knows what it is. I have used it but not for a few years.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:08 pm

I dunno if it was clear in my previous post, but my point was you need to find primary bedding and feeding or any wind results u might get could mean very little..

welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:38 am

Try www.wunderground.com I think they have history for weather and wind directions.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:42 am

WUnderground allows you to search past weather including wind...

Just keep in mind..at THAT spot it might be dead opposite...but its something to go by....

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:24 am

BHC wrote:I dunno if it was clear in my previous post, but my point was you need to find primary bedding and feeding or any wind results u might get could mean very little..

I think the OP was wanting to know how some match camera pictures to wind directions. If a guy is running 10 cameras and wants to know what wind direction a buck was moving in 30 days ago on one camera. I think the point was that the cameras are set up in strategic spots, just trying to develop a huntable pattern from those pictures with known wind directions.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:55 pm

I only pay attention to the daylight pictures or pics that are very close to legal light - then use weather underground to check the wind direction. The pics are date and time stamped so very easy to do. I also started messing around with Deerlab.com a bit - pretty slick - you upload your pics and it syncs all kids of weather data with the pics. Moon phase, wind, etc.

Lee
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 am

I use Weather Underground. Plug in the date(s) and go from there, very easy straight forward site.

Time and date . Com is another site to use as well, but it’s not as user friendly as WU.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:18 pm

mauser06 wrote:WUnderground allows you to search past weather including wind...

Just keep in mind..at THAT spot it might be dead opposite...but its something to go by....

WUnderground for me also. It can show a repeatable pattern for the weather and that is very helpful. We are aware that at that PRECISE location the wind might be a little different but the predominant wind will act the same enough on the area. I synchronized a season worth of mature buck pics and felt it was good Intel.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:56 pm

In flat land or small rolling hills or some hill country the predominant wind on WU may be enough to go off of. In the mountains it is a completely different story. I hunt a lot of 4000 ft mountains over an hour away from the closest WU weather location with wind history. The closest location for wind history is a big wide ag valley at about 1000 feet elevation. The wind data from there is completely useless in my case, even predominant wind. It will be different at my camera site based on rising falling temp or thermals, sunny day or cloudy day, is the ridge in the shadow of a larger ridge or on the edge of a deep hollow, aspect will affect wind, rising pressure falling pressure. I don't even try with it, and very rarely get any kind of routine pics of big bucks anyway.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”