Set up ideas

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BHC

Set up ideas

Unread postby BHC » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:17 pm

So this is an area I have never stepped foot on. Just found it so gotta put some boot on the ground to verify it's worth any time. But I'd like to get some feedback on how y'all set up in terrain like this. I've never hunted marsh/bottom land do it's new to me. So below is a penninsula, based on scale I believe it to be maybe 150yrds wide. The right side is more elevated that the left. So if it holds beds, I would at first glance enter via white line and hunt red dot in afternoon. This is assuming green is bedding and arrow is exit based on a huntable N wind. In morning during the rut I'd enter via blue line and hunt the orange dot trying to catch a late buck returning to bed. Thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Set up ideas

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:49 am

That upper tip that connects to the big woods looks like a strong pinch point. During gun season a few years back i setup on a similar looking spot without at the time having much bedding knowledge and found that bucks would cruise the pinch section i am talking about scent checking down into the "bowl" instead of walking into it and back out if its doe bedding. You may find a rub line in the area
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:32 am

In theory it sounds good... But you can't confirm beds from a computer they might be lower than your drawing, or on the low side depending on wind and cover, or might not be in there at all... So, boots on the ground would be my final say on where to hang the stand outside of the rut...
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:43 am

What about the points to the west on both sides of the creek?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
kotimaki

Unread postby kotimaki » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:19 am

I do a lot of river hunting and have in quite a few areas. The first place I would scout in this pic is the point on the left side of screen where the river loops from n.s. to e.w. mature deer love the security of being surrounded on three sides by water and the wide shallow flat is an easy escape route. Access to a stand by water is a great way to get in unnoticed also....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Next step is definitely putting boots on the ground. I'm also looking at the oxbow a, but there is an endless supply so goin to take more time finding the ones that are being utilized. The peninsula/ island feature just stood out of the bat..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”