1st Hill Country Scout

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZSV
500 Club

1st Hill Country Scout

Unread postby ZSV » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:20 pm

After watching the hill country dvd a couple times I went out for my first hill country scout last Thursday. It was my most successful scout yet. I found sign where I thought it would be and it was the first place I have been that I didn't find a stand :dance: .

The brown dot is a parking lot and the brown arrow points to another access further NW. The green and red dots are buck beds with the red one being what I believe to be the primary due to the wear in the dirt and it had the most rubs around it. The finger with the beds had rubs all over the top and both sides.
Here is a picture of what I believe to be the primary bed. You can see in the background down the slope there is a rub in front of the 2 larger trees. It is on a trail I believe him to be j hooking in from.

So, I found a good spot, but i'm unsure how to hunt it. Looks like the best wind would be NW. Where would you guys look for a good tree for a stand and would you access from the NW or SE areas I indicated in brown. For reference that blue line on top of the finger is 155 yards. The whole area is covered in acorns, so he probably doesn't go far before dark.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
SaddleMaster

Re: 1st Hill Country Scout

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:21 pm

The next step is to figure out where he's heading in the evening. That will determine your approach and where you should set up. If he's heading west, you may set up near where the bottom 2 green dots are, or maybe closer if possible. If he's heading east, you may be able to approach from the parking lot you have marked and set up near the creek just out of sight from the bed. That rub is facing the bed so it's probably made when he's walking away from the bed. So that may be him going down to the creek for a drink. Or maybe it's a sign of his exit trail. I'd go down to that rub and see if there isn't more sign to show where he's heading from there. Maybe it's the start of a rub line along his evening route.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”