Picking a tree?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BHC

Picking a tree?

Unread postby BHC » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:04 am

When you guys find an active bed and determine primary exit route, how close do you want to get? I know it's subject to how close you can get. I'm asking more in an ideal perfect set up. As close as 50yrds? Are you pushing the limits and literally getting as close as possible without him seeing you?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

backstraps

Re: Picking a tree?

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm

I think it is very dependant on where you are hunting. The terrain features around his bed would dictate how close you can get to safe.

I know there are guys that could probably do it...but 50 yards to a "mature buck" thats a tall order.

I hunt 99% hill country and I have gotten under a hundred (barely) and was able to have him within bow range before dark....others were after last light.

In hill country, at near a 100 yards, I have been able to slowly climb without detection to a certain height. This is where spring scouting, getting in the bed and see how close you can get undetected really helps me. Beating his ears is a matter of patience, slow calculated moves, and super quiet equipment and climbing practices.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:08 pm

Swamps and marshes I like to be within 100 yards... Hill country forest I am usually between 100 and 200 depending on how open the woods is.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:51 am

All depends on the terrain...I just found a bed with numerous trails to ag fields nearby. There is a rise between his bed and the tree I picked out. It is 46 yards from the bed but, I can get 4 sticks high and see if hes in the bed or the one 20 yards farther away. If I get to 100 yards or so I miss out on about 4 different exits that I cant cover. Conditions will have to be perfect, and if they arent I will hunt further back at dropping oaks.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:56 am

Realistically the wind plays a huge factor for me. I'm not talking direction as much as velocity. The wind is your ally, some guys don't/won't hunt when it's real windy. I have a lot of Big Buck sightings on windy days.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:17 am

Stanley is right...I failed to mention that. My ideal days to hunt close will be 12+ mph wind days.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:46 am

I like to get within 100 yards if possible. Singing Bridge offered a great tip. When locating a bed in the offseason set up a blaze orange hat or glove at the approximate height the buck would be bedded. Then find a suitable tree to climb, take into consideration what leaf cover may be there in fall and then pay attention to what the buck could see from his bed while you set up.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 am

I was with in a 100 yards last year on my setups and I found I needed to be half of that if I can in my area. This year I been getting real close and also picking a tree back that I can't be seen when the leaves are off. I have one that is just 10 feet from the road and maybe 45 yards away from the bed but it has good cover between me and the bed. I have another one that is prob 30 yards away I prepped the tree hoping I can get to it but I have another one that I will go to first and then decided then if I can make or not due to the cover. It is a game of inches. Not close enough he may not so before dark to close you may bust him out and all spots are different. The buck I missed this past season I was with in a 100 yards easy but he came across the creek and hung out there for awhile before moving over to a scrape and it was just a little to dark to see the limbs I hit. Just yesterday I mover my spot closer and cleared those limbs out. Don't be afraid to try and push it or stay back and see what he does and then make a move in, no matter what it is better than staring at a corn pile waiting for a deer to show lol

semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 am

HoosierG5 wrote:Stanley is right...I failed to mention that. My ideal days to hunt close will be 12+ mph wind days.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

X2. Give me a good stiff wind to mask my movement and noise. My last two bucks were killed on days when the wind was blowing 15mph.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Thermals wrote:I was with in a 100 yards last year on my setups and I found I needed to be half of that if I can in my area. This year I been getting real close and also picking a tree back that I can't be seen when the leaves are off. I have one that is just 10 feet from the road and maybe 45 yards away from the bed but it has good cover between me and the bed. I have another one that is prob 30 yards away I prepped the tree hoping I can get to it but I have another one that I will go to first and then decided then if I can make or not due to the cover. It is a game of inches. Not close enough he may not so before dark to close you may bust him out and all spots are different. The buck I missed this past season I was with in a 100 yards easy but he came across the creek and hung out there for awhile before moving over to a scrape and it was just a little to dark to see the limbs I hit. Just yesterday I mover my spot closer and cleared those limbs out. Don't be afraid to try and push it or stay back and see what he does and then make a move in, no matter what it is better than staring at a corn pile waiting for a deer to show lol

You must be one stealthy guy slipping in to those distances of beds. Unless it's super windy or wet. My typical stands from the beds are 85-110 yds. And I feel the ones 85 yds away are pushing it. Kudos to you thermals on the sneaking ability.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 am

I should that where I put them for this year lol I havnt don't it yet will see how it goes. But like I said I picked two trees out and I will get to the first one and then decide if I can get closer if I need to.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 am

This getting in close brings up another question I will post

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”