Little by little...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Little by little...

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:27 am

Southern Man wrote:
slowpoke69 wrote:I love the positive attitude here. I do have a question for you ....what do you log and how/where to you log it? This is my first year boots to ground. I have a gps marking spots....maybe not enough.

Buy you a little notebook. Something you can carry in a pouch or pocket. I note all the little details I see. Some are worth it, some are not, but those details are easy to forget if you don't write them down. At least it is for me. Then I organize it later on the PC or a notebook I have for that area. I also always carry a map that I can draw or write on.

I get my hunting journal books from staples they are 4"x6" with a picture pocket in the back. I get two seasons per book and the information is priceless. You never realize what you don't remember. If you write it down you will have it forever and you can go back to it as a reference. I often refer to mine during the season. At the end of the season I always write a summary at the end of the season which always includes the overall impression of the mast production and available food sources.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:49 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote: At the end of the season I always write a summary at the end of the season which always includes the overall impression of the mast production and available food sources.

Good point. I do the same for some areas.

If going to an area I haven't been to for a while, I'll read all the notes I have had for that area before I go.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:54 am

I have been logging just every bed, big rub and scrape that I have found for the past 15 years. Pretty amazing when you view it all on aerials and topos and start putting the puzzle together.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:39 am

So I've started to log beds, rubs, and scrapes on the GPS. When I remember I take photos. Id to find a way to highlight the trails. I'll have to get a notebook to take the finer notes. I have been logging my hunts on my phone for the last 2 seasons. Wind, temp, sightings... Etc.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”