Rubs next to busy roads.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Rubs next to busy roads.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 pm

Anyone else ever see rubs on the edge of the woodline next to a road? I have seen many, and usually along busy highways and interstates. We all know rubs mean one thing, a buck has been there. But is there something more to rubs next to busy roads? Could they be near possible bedding areas or just a usual travel routes? Anyone ever scout these type of rubs?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Lockdown

Re: Rubs next to busy roads.

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:03 pm

I see rubs along roadways all the time (farm country). I assume the vast majority near busy roads are made exclusively in the middle of the night. I don't base a whole lot on these rubs as far as the hunt itself, but I do pay close attention to rub size and rub densities along roads when I'm scouting a new area. You can get a pretty accurate estimate of deer numbers and buck quality just by sign spotted from your vehicle.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Night time movement? Then agin it's not far fetched look at Dan

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:47 am

I look at them the same as rubs found anywhere else.. If there are land features that create bedding or daylight cruising its worth hunting, if not, likely made at night.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 am

my guess is the free way creates an edge, just like the red brush in the marsh and the deer use that edge to travel.
Fatal

Unread postby Fatal » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:35 am

I see this a lot in my area
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 am

I notice them along the free way and for sure they are likely made at night. I also notice deer travel those edges as evidence by the runs and rubs. They take the easy route like anybody else and how often do you think they encounter humans or human scent between the fence and the free way? There is a hillside on my way to work where a run comes down the side and then eventually goes back up. I would put money on it that there is a stand in that woods and the deer have learned to avoid it.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:06 am

Here we have a "setback" which limits how close to a road or building we can hunt and the deer know it.

Discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:19 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Here we have a "setback" which limits how close to a road or building we can hunt and the deer know it.

Discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

Bob

Here in WI, you can legally hunt beyond 50 feet from the center line of any road and illegal to hunt within 100 yards from an occupied building, unless permission is granted. Page 20, 2014 WI hunting Regs. You pretty much can hunt in ditches here.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:09 am

150 feet is pretty close. Thats only 50 yards, I am sure you would not need to set up within 50 yards of the road.

I actually find a lot of my best action within a close distance of a road. Most people dismiss it as "to close to the road", but really, deer will tolerate people being close as long as they don't walk where there not supposed to. Just a week or two ago I noticed a buck bedded on the side of the expressway 75 yards from heavy traffic.

The road edge probably receives less pressure than the remote middle of a lot of these areas.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 am

Found one of my best bedding areas this year after a cluster of rubs along an interstate caught my attention. The beds were a mile from the interstate but without seeing the rub cluster next to the highway, I would had never of thought to look in this area.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:25 pm

dan wrote:

150 feet is pretty close. Thats only 50 yards, I am sure you would not need to set up within 50 yards of the road.

I actually find a lot of my best action within a close distance of a road. Most people dismiss it as "to close to the road", but really, deer will tolerate people being close as long as they don't walk where there not supposed to. Just a week or two ago I noticed a buck bedded on the side of the expressway 75 yards from heavy traffic.

The road edge probably receives less pressure than the remote middle of a lot of these areas.

Zona wrote:Found one of my best bedding areas this year after a cluster of rubs along an interstate caught my attention. The beds were a mile from the interstate but without seeing the rub cluster next to the highway, I would had never of thought to look in this area.

Thank you both for the responses. I will look at those areas much closer in the future.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 am

Some of the biggest rubs I've ever come across have been right on the edges of roads. I remember just this past November I spotted a big rub maybe 15 yards off the gravel while driving down a dirt road on some public land mid day....later that afternoon I drove by again headed to the parking lot down the road to hunt, and saw a guy sitting in a tree over that rub. He couldn't have been sitting more than 30 yards off the road.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”