Cedar Swamp Buck Bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Cedar Swamp Buck Bedding

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:38 am

Yesterday I snow tracked a good buck deep in a cedar swamp back to his bed. The conditions are perfect, in that I didn’t sink through any frozen water and managed to stay on top. All of the bucks entrance and exit trails were clearly visible in the snow, which made reading the bedding area like looking at a map.

The orange is the outline of a very mature stand of cedars on a high ground island. The island is just over a hundred yards across and the visibility through the mature cedar trunks is good. The surrounding swamp is a tangled mess with very low visibility. A high resolution topo shows nothing as the difference in elevation is negligible when comparing the island to the surrounding swamp. Yellow is the wind direction, it is also the prevailing wind and blows this direction more than any other. Red is the buck’s approach to his bed and the yellow dot is the bed itself. This island is remote and a long way from any trail or road.

The buck’s approach to his bed is fairly typical in the cedar swamps I hunt. After he ran the transition of the edge of the island he went back out into the main swamp, hooked around and scent checked / cleared his bed. He moved just back up onto the island, turned around to face his tracks that were immediately behind him and lay down. The snow is about 5 inches deep and the bed is “primary”, there is one other bed nearby he uses in atypical wind directions, but this “primary” bed is melted down to the ground and is used A LOT.

Most interesting is that the buck faced downwind, his leg position in the bed is clear and definite. This defies human nature and our poor noses in that the buck is facing the wall of the swamp with the open island behind him. He has less than 20 yards of visibility in that direction as he looks over his approaching tracks in the snow. The bucks is completely reliant on the wind to cover his backside and obviously very comfortable with it. If it were me, I would want to watch the direction a predator would most likely come from- across the open cedars to the entry trail that ran the edge of the island when he first arrived, which would also mean looking into the wind. It is more than fascinating to see these bucks stare at the “wall” of the swamp and ignore looking at the open island. The comfort that a super sense of smell gives these bucks is remarkable.

When I mention “mature” cedars, the two trees this buck beds against are well over 2 feet in diameter, approaching 3 feet. We are talking trees that are over a hundred years old. There is no “browse” line and the lower limbs are far beyond any hope of a whitetail reaching them, and yet this big buck does not have to leave this island the entire winter if he does not want to. How can that be? Well, when the cedars are of this age the wind knocks down fresh, green white-cedar leaves (flat needles) all winter long by the countless thousands right on this little patch of buck paradise. The buck doesn’t even have to get up, if you look closely at my picture you can see green white cedar leaves begging for him to munch on. A buck can survive a brutal northern winter with only white cedar and water. No other buck food, browse / crop or otherwise can do this. If white cedar is not available, bucks have to eat a combination of food stuffs or they will starve to death in the terrible conditions. Along the bucks approach trail when he first hit the island is a spring fed creek with open water where he can drink almost all winter long and not have to eat snow. The thermal protection and little snow depth on the island are obvious. There are two different doe families bedded nearby.

Food, water, heavy cover, thermal protection and doe families all contained within this tiny microenvironment. The buck never has to come out all winter if he doesn’t want to, and this certainly can lend itself to putting some age on the buck. This is why you often hear me state that cutting down a mature stand of white cedar is a crime that should be prosecuted- it takes over a hundred years to replace them and the attempts typically fail.

But if you recall, I stated that this is a “primary” buck bedding area… how would I know that? It is very remote and looks like a wintering spot. Well, over the last 5 or more decades my family members have killed some very good bucks during the fall just off of the photo to the right… ‘nuff said.

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Cedar Swamp Buck Bedding

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:00 am

Excellent information SingingBridge. This helps me to undertsand what kinds of areas/islands Ive been looking for in the sea of green. How are you hunting this area/bed? Is this a morning hunt location and stay out of J hook area? Or is this a non huntable wintering setup? Great explanation by the way.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:02 am

Nicely written with full details. Thanks for sharing and nice find.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:02 am

Good stuff SB. Thanks for posting. I wish I would have spent more time following tracks this winter, but I had scouting plans and tried to stick with them and not go off on tangents following tracks. Next year.

In the picture, is the deer laying with hind quarters left, front shoulders right, and back on top?
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:14 am

Another awesome post. Thank you for sharing.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:27 am

Great post thanks for sharing I enjoy seeing how bucks acess their bedding areas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:17 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Another awesome post. Thank you for sharing.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

X2, except the Bob part.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 am

Great post. Pretty cool how defined the outline of his bed is. You can see exactly how he's positioned. I never get that lucky lol

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:53 am

remmag wrote:Great post. Pretty cool how defined the outline of his bed is. You can see exactly how he's positioned. I never get that [glow=red]lucky[/glow] lol

I've read enough of Singing's posts to know it's now luck on his part! :lol:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:08 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Excellent information SingingBridge. This helps me to undertsand what kinds of areas/islands Ive been looking for in the sea of green. How are you hunting this area/bed? Is this a morning hunt location and stay out of J hook area? Or is this a non huntable wintering setup? Great explanation by the way.

His primary exit is directly toward a doe family bedding area, and directly behind them a distance further are multiple forb / browse / mast feeding areas. Hunting this exit route has been productive.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Very cool. SB what are those breaks in between the trees on the outside of the island? This looks similar to my cypress swamps so curious

Last edited by Swampbuck on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make It Happen
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Very cool. SB what are those breaks in between the trees outside of that island ? This looks similar to my cypress swamps so curious

Make It Happen
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Awesome post (as usual) Singing Bridge!

Cedar swamps hold the potential for harboring the oldest bucks around because they are so hard to read (on topos and aerials) and so hard to navigate. The bedding area you circled is a great example of what to look for...the crowns of the trees are all larger than any of the surrounding trees and vegetation. That is the only clue that there is drier ground in that spot!

May I ask, what kind of hunting set up do you have for this spot? I ask because I have a couple spots similar to this that I have not yet hunted because of how hard it is to know if the beds are presently being used and also that I will have to sit on the ground.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:36 pm

pitz0022 wrote:Good stuff SB. In the picture, is the deer laying with hind quarters left, front shoulders right, and back on top?

He's lying at a bit of an angle in the pic, but more or less your description is accurate. Very few beds show the leg imprints this well and the line of the back is clearly visible.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Good stuff Singing Bridge. Exactly the stuff I look for when there is snow on the ground. Shake my head when guys say it's a waste of time to scout in the snow and better to wait till it's gone. I have found some awesome primary beds during late winter just by following the bucks tracks right to their beds. Well done and always enjoy your scouting threads.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”