Points that extend into lakes/rivers?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FCAndrews71

Points that extend into lakes/rivers?

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Found a unique spot on an aerial and was hoping to learn a little more about this type of landform. Point extends out into a large river, then parallels the bank towards the southeast. As you can see by the scale I threw in, this is a pretty wide stretch across the river on both sides of the point. The area in red floods when the water levels get high, but the northern and western edges stay drier. It still gets wet, but I wouldnt call it flooded. Prevailing winds are typically SW but vary. I havent set foot on this property yet (next week).

I know they will use the river as an escape route if needed, but Im assuming that will be a last resort? Does the size of the point allow enough room for a dry escape route from the beds? Thinking like a deer (staying alive), escaping across a river seems about as safe as it gets. Does nearby land across water on multiple sides make this point more appealing? What about points that extent straight out into a lake/river?

Motivated
500 Club

Re: Points that extend into lakes/rivers?

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:17 pm

This looks like a great spot, and looks plenty big enough for deer to escape on land without having to swim.

Dad and I hunt these areas in pairs during the state park reduction hunts. We place him on the dry land escape route and play the wind, and I try to practice my spot and stalk hunting out towards the bedding near the point. It's fun and works. Usually for him though. I need to improve. Very difficult to stalk in some conditions, but very fun. Also if you find tracks going in toward the bedding point but not out, and no predator tracks, then you can be fairly confident the deer will be bedded there. Great funnel!

That looks like it will eventually form an oxbow on the river there.

Great questions. I hope I was helpful.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:52 pm

You may have some bedding there, but really, My attention would mostly be along the transition along the red line you marked separating the wet land from dry. And I would also be curious if there is a good spot on the small oxbow on the creek on the left side of your aerial.
FCAndrews71

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:06 am

Thanks guys. The plan when I scout is to walk the transition and follow in any runways with rubs until we find bedding. I was overlooking the transition itself because of how low it was in the red area I outlined.

Dan, the other oxbow youre referring to (Im new to the term oxbow so bare with me), Im not seeing it...I think you may be mistaking the road I blacked out for a creek. The onl other spot I can see if across the river, directly on the other side from where the road dead ends into the water. FYI, thats not a road per say. Its more of an easement or an old logging trail.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:41 am

Your correct, I thought the road was a feeder creek.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:21 am

I have never had much luck on peninsula type bends in rivers. I always thought it was too much exposure for a buck to escape via the water. A bucks first action is to get out of sight and fast. In open water they can't get out of sight fast. Just my observations and opinion. I have hunted a bunch in river bottoms. I think peninsulas in small creeks are a better choice, the buck can cross the creek in a hurry and get out of sight fast. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:56 am

Stanley wrote:I have never had much luck on peninsula type bends in rivers. I always thought it was too much exposure for a buck to escape via the water. A bucks first action is to get out of sight and fast. In open water they can't get out of sight fast. Just my observations and opinion. I have hunted a bunch in river bottoms. I think peninsulas in small creeks are a better choice, the buck can cross the creek in a hurry and get out of sight fast. :think:

I agree, that river may be too large for a get away plan. There's only one way to tell though!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
FCAndrews71

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:01 pm

So with an oxbow, what is the big attraction? I understand the funnel effects they provide, but anything else that Im overlooking? Any unique ways to read these types of landforms aside from/in addition to the norms of following travel routes to beds? My plan as of now is to walk the transition at the mainland looking for runways in/out that have rubs, then follow them in until we get on the beds. As far as stand placement goes, it seems like it would be even more wind dependent than most other spots.

Stanley/Twenty Up, I can definitely see where youre coming from in regards to most peninsulas. Not sure if hes on the Beast, but a guy out of MD (Moondunedude) thats on Archerytalk provided some discussion where he said he hunted some shorelines and peninsulas where deer would flock across major sections of rivers for escape during drives rather than seek escape routes through thickets.

Ive never had the chance to target these specific areas until now, so this is all a learning event for me.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:48 pm

My family has 23 ac in Shawano co. with Red River frontage. It has a point and there are always deer in there. They blast across the river in a hurry though.
FCAndrews71

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:44 am

Finally got the chance to head out and look at this spot. Really disappointed, but i could tell it gets hit pretty hard during the season. Theres a paved access trail that leads down the ridge and ends close to the transition, found 2 stands within 100 yards of there, and found a few carcasses there also. One decent run that follows the edge of the transition, and that was it. Not a wasted trip though...I had 4 days to scout an additional 6000 acres and I only got through about 1/5 of it all! First out of state hunt, and Im pumped for fall already!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”