Scouting question regarding general cutoff and dogs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JerzyJames

Scouting question regarding general cutoff and dogs

Unread postby JerzyJames » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 am

I have a couple properties I am currently scouting for next year. One is a piece of county park land (hill country) that has a deer management program. Its around 1800 acres broken into 5-7 pieces that you apply for. Others are conservation land, much smaller tracts of various types, but also accessed regularly by the public. Two questions...

1. Is it a mistake to bring my mutt along? Dogs and people are plentiful on trail in these locations, not as much off trail. Dog does not pursue animals when called off.
2. What is a general cut off time as far as scouting, late spring early summer? I typically only get one of these properties scouted each time out. I'm trying to determine when I should be returning to trail only hiking to let areas be until the season commences.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting question regarding general cutoff and dogs

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:55 am

I think scouting with your dog "now" won't do much harm... Closer to the season I would worry about his scent being in places your not as he runs around and I would worry about his feces leaving scent for a long time... As far as scouting cut off time? The more scouting you do the better, so keep on scouting. Now is the best time to concentrate on bedding so get your best stuff done now, but anytime you have free time is a good time to scout.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:03 am

dan wrote:I think scouting with your dog "now" won't do much harm... Closer to the season I would worry about his scent being in places your not as he runs around and I would worry about his feces leaving scent for a long time... As far as scouting cut off time? The more scouting you do the better, so keep on scouting. Now is the best time to concentrate on bedding so get your best stuff done now, but anytime you have free time is a good time to scout.

Dan..., I think you just came up with the next big tool for stacking beds. Dog Feces! No way to hunt the bed? Throw some dog feces in it! Gather up a weeks worth and block the alternative travel routes. Just need to come up with some catchy packaging with a picture of a big buck and I'd be worth millions. Somebody try it out this season and get back to us.:lol:
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
JerzyJames

Unread postby JerzyJames » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:39 am

Got it thanks.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Florida,

Brilliant! Dump em and dump em!

I have a buck straddling a safety zone line. My little fufu dog might just come in handy after all...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”