Winter beds vs. Spring, Summer & Fall Beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Big Buck 1982

Winter beds vs. Spring, Summer & Fall Beds

Unread postby Big Buck 1982 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm

All:

I've been doing some Winter scouting as of late and have uncovered some buck bedding areas on the bottom of a ridge that borders some cattails and swamp terrain.

With that said, would it be safe to assume that bucks, if not the same bucks that are currently bedding here, would be using these bedding areas throughout the year?

In an effort to not over-scout and stink up the area too much with human scent, I'm trying to only enter this area occasionally; hopefully next time I visit this will be to identify a specific stand location and trim some shooting lanes in summer. At that point I'll only enter the area to hunt.

Appreciate any advice/thoughts you guys can offer.

~BB

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Winter beds vs. Spring, Summer & Fall Beds

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Bedding does shift around a bit... You need to identify the bedding areas and also be able to figure out "when" they bed there... Some beds are food based, and only used when a certain food is there, some are wind based, some are only used in rut, etc... Primary bedding areas where bucks bed all season are the best spots obviously, but it does take some detective work more than finding a bed and killing a buck.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 pm

dan wrote:Bedding does shift around a bit... You need to identify the bedding areas and also be able to figure out "when" they bed there... Some beds are food based, and only used when a certain food is there, some are wind based, some are only used in rut, etc... Primary bedding areas where bucks bed all season are the best spots obviously, but it does take some detective work more than finding a bed and killing a buck.

To add to this question.. How can you determine a primary bed vs. a Wind/Food based bedding?

Are all primary beds worn to dirt?
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Twenty Up wrote:
dan wrote:Bedding does shift around a bit... You need to identify the bedding areas and also be able to figure out "when" they bed there... Some beds are food based, and only used when a certain food is there, some are wind based, some are only used in rut, etc... Primary bedding areas where bucks bed all season are the best spots obviously, but it does take some detective work more than finding a bed and killing a buck.

To add to this question.. How can you determine a primary bed vs. a Wind/Food based bedding?

Its not always easy... Most primary bedding areas have several actual beds. The best ones I know of have beds that are pretty worn. It should look like deer spend some time there... It should have beds that could be used for any winds, or at least the most prominent ones.
Big Buck 1982

Unread postby Big Buck 1982 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 pm

dan wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:

Its not always easy... Most primary bedding areas have several actual beds. The best ones I know of have beds that are pretty worn. It should look like deer spend some time there... It should have beds that could be used for any winds, or at least the most prominent ones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, guys. Makes sense. Looks like I'll have to do some more investigating after the snow melts to really study the bedding area. Perhaps some glassing from a distance would be a good option as well.

~BB

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”