River Bend Beds..Does size matter??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jphunter
500 Club

River Bend Beds..Does size matter??

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:08 am

I have a question about river or creek bend beds. I have a piece of public land that I have started hunting the last couple years that has a river system that runs through it and I don't have a lot of experience hunting big river bottems like this one. I have found beds on small bends in other areas, but this area has really large bends that don't really form points. I guess my question would be..Do bucks prefer to use these type of bends for bedding or do they prefer smaller creek bends. At what point does the creek bend become to big to provide a bedding advantage for the deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: River Bend Beds..Does size matter??

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:00 am

The best way to answer that is to go scout each bend... With that said, its been my observation that they prefer set ups where they can detect danger coming. The reason they pick oxbows in rivers is they have a water barrier and can smell, see, or hear any person that enters the oxbow... Knowing that big bucks (older) usually bed in the prime spots and lesser bucks often bed in the not so good spots, I would seek out the oxbows that have the primary winds for your area blowing into them, and are small enough in size to sense danger coming, but big enough to sense it before its to late... My best luck has been in oxbows with narrow openings that are about 1 to 3 acres of ground.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:12 am

Thanks Dan. That makes sense.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:06 pm

It was not my focus on a new area but a nice oxbow just appeared on my scout list. Wind blowing in and maybe 250 feet wide. Public out front so common danger upwind I like that. Behind the oxbow downwind is a steep bluff area for escape and or South wind bedding. Crossing my fingers and waiting to get out to it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”