Scouting Monstrous Marsh this Weekend

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting Monstrous Marsh this Weekend

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:14 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Mike wrote:I swear MN bucks don't like to rub and scrape...it has been a challenge for me to find much sign on the public lands I have scouted here. The sign I did find in my limited marsh scouting this year was mainly rubs on red brush, easy to miss.

2 areas that I hunt that I know for a fact have mature bucks living there do not have much buck sign at all, you'd never know a large buck lived there except for the tracks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The more areas I scout, the more I am finding a direct relation with the deer density vs the the number of big bucks. It seems they do a lot more marking in areas w here they are in competition.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:54 pm

dan wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
Mike wrote:I swear MN bucks don't like to rub and scrape...it has been a challenge for me to find much sign on the public lands I have scouted here. The sign I did find in my limited marsh scouting this year was mainly rubs on red brush, easy to miss.

2 areas that I hunt that I know for a fact have mature bucks living there do not have much buck sign at all, you'd never know a large buck lived there except for the tracks.

The more areas I scout, the more I am finding a direct relation with the deer density vs the the number of big bucks. It seems they do a lot more marking in areas w here they are in competition.

I'm seeing the rubbing vs competition as well. The swamp I hunt used to have a decent herd and there were rubs pretty commonly. A few years ago a hurricane wiped the herd out and now rubs are few and far between. Even whhen I know a buck is in the area there is ususlly no rubs Now. But each year as the herd recovers the rubs increase a little

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:47 pm

dan wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

So it makes me wonder why I saw more rubs this last day than all of the previous days. After all, deer don't know property boundaries and would have no trouble going from one area to the other. You would think that bucks in high competition areas would get pushed out and inhabit the lower competition areas. Then again, maybe this last area had good reasons for high competition, like less hunters offering a better sense of security or better food which attracts more does.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”