Bucks Bedding with "Off" Winds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Bucks Bedding with "Off" Winds

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:02 am

During my scouting trip last week, I entered the area with a SW wind. This bed works out perfect with our Prevailing NW wind so I figured I wouldn't bump the deer out of his bed because he would be elsewhere. As I began approaching the spot I presumed where the buck bed was, I hear a deer tearing through the brush and quietly slip away 50 yards out. Being this is a swamp, I never saw the deer but I could tell it was alone.

Fast forward to my question, why would a deer bed with an "off" wind? Was it a younger buck bedding in a mature bucks bedroom? Does this buck bed with multiple winds- even if they're not in his favor?

*With a N, NW or NE wind the bucks scent would be taken into the creek behind him. He can smell anything in front of him, nothing can sneak up behind him due to the creek & thickness of the brush. It's located in a swampy area adjacent to hardwoods.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bucks Bedding with "Off" Winds

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:15 am

They don't always follow the rules... The bed might be used on any wind. There might be a feature in the terrain that pulls scent or air currents from other than expected directions, or, the buck might of just got sloppy... I have seen deer use beds on the wrong wind on more than a few occasions, but, the older or smarter the buck, the more likely he beds by the rules. We try and hunt the odds like a gambler... Bucks don't always do anything...
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:16 am

What I'm referring to. The green arrows are just to show the forest transition from hardwoods to thicket.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:22 am

dan wrote:They don't always follow the rules... The bed might be used on any wind. There might be a feature in the terrain that pulls scent or air currents from other than expected directions, or, the buck might of just got sloppy... I have seen deer use beds on the wrong wind on more than a few occasions, but, the older or smarter the buck, the more likely he beds by the rules. We try and hunt the odds like a gambler... Bucks don't always do anything...

I was thinking this could have been a "community" bedding area; Or he could have gotten sloppy as you mentioned. It's relatively flat aside from the dry creek beds that fill up during heavy rains.

I uploaded a picture hoping to gain some information from other Beast hunters in general. I "feel" this spot would work perfectly with our Prevailing NW wind, or any variation of a N wind. Also to see if I am missing any pieces to the puzzle, so to speak.

Hopefully the picture can reveal some evidence as to why the buck had been bedding there.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:21 am

With the pressure off things could change, but you did not say it was a buck forsure so maybe it was a doe.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Thermals wrote:With the pressure off things could change, but you did not say it was a buck forsure so maybe it was a doe.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Very well could have been a doe, but I am jumping to the assumption it was a buck due to the spot & it was by itself. Time & scouting will tell...

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 am

My opinion is the bend is too open for great bedding. The good pockets allow the deer to see or smell what is coming. More U shaped than smiley face. But your boots on the ground trump what COULD BE from a map.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 am

justdirtyfun wrote:My opinion is the bend is too open for great bedding. The good pockets allow the deer to see or smell what is coming. More U shaped than smiley face. But your boots on the ground trump what COULD BE from a map.

I found two beds in this area, one from an older deer which has either passed away or moved on and a younger 2.5YO that is utilizing a new bed and the older bucks bed. Unfortunately another hunter left a permanent stand 200 yards away from the big buck which IMO ruined this spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”