Thicket is too dang thick...options here?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FCAndrews71

Re: Thicket is too dang thick...options here?

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:48 am

Somewhat. The problem with that is that it's basically public land...first come first serve. There's only 4 people allowed per section per day, so I'm not trying to tip my hand to anyone else. I think most bowhunters won't even think about this spot because it's so thick though.

The run I walked in on was straight downwind (prevailing) of the tree I prepped. The only other ways in to this spot will be through the bedding area or cutting across multiple runways in the thicket. This trail is by far the lowest impact entry/exit. I think paralleling the runway might work.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:28 am

I have an identical situation where it is so thick that I can only get in there after November.

Any tips for cutting these trails? I bought a chain saw and loppers and try to do as much as I can during the winter. Once summer comes- the snakes are too dangerous.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:35 am

The snakes love those thick places of thicket if it's full of blackberry vines. One of the areas I hunt I've killed 139 snakes in the last 7 years and it's always full of them. I would cut a trail through it before spring.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
FCAndrews71

Unread postby FCAndrews71 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:15 pm

I didn't even consider snakes! This area is well known for cottonmouths!

I'm on a Navy base where most people hunting it latch on to where the hardcore few go. The more obvious my sign, the more likely I'll find some jack wagon in one of my trees come season, smoking cigarettes and shooting a bow that hasn't been shot in more than a year. If you can trim without worrying about other hunters too much, now is the time! The earlier the better!

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:42 am

FCAndrews71 wrote:Update on this location...had a few hours yesterday to head out. Been wanting to get into the woods while there was still snow on the ground, and it looks like I hit it just in time. I broke through the thicket to the north, just to the left of the lone tree in the runway field. Got to the big stand of trees and found everything I thought I would. The heaviest runways Ive seen on the property and rubs leading out of dense thickets from every direction.

The only thing I didnt like was that the only way in/out is on a deer trail leading in from the field. Hoping that fact doesnt turn this into a one & done spot, because Id really like to sit this early in the season and again closer to rut as well.

Two things regarding only hunting it once. One, maybe hunt it early before a big rain? Two, I know your best odds are always the first sit, but being relatively new to hunting, I don't have a ton of good spots. I'll sit a good spot 2 or 3 times a season if I don't have other good options. Of course I'd prefer to have 20 great setups, but those will come with time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”