First Buck Bed (with Beast Mindset) Found!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Reflex011

First Buck Bed (with Beast Mindset) Found!

Unread postby Reflex011 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:39 am

This weekend took a walk on public land where i hunt a handful of times with the bow. I have had some encounters the last 4 years(excluding 2014) with a couple mature bucks using the same travel route, which i figured was coming from their beds. Well i finally did some investigation this weekend found exactly what i expected. Just 100 yards south and 50 yards across the crick , from one of the trees i try to sit once or twice a year tops(where the 3 mature bucks came from) i found two beds. They are about 15 yards apart and facing different directions. The tracks looked like a good one and the beds were both used recently. They are on the east side of crick(south flowing) which is pretty thick and just inside the cedars. The east side of the crick is really thick low hanging cedars. I have had encounters of mature bucks walking straight north, just inside the cedars 3 times, in 3 different seasons. The beds actually are on the inside bend of the crick, which turns and creates a hard 90 degrees. Standing in the beds, i can see predominant entrance routes lined with well rubbed larger(softball sized or larger) cedar trees. My only entrance is from the north along the crick bottom. I now have to figure out how close is close enough. Looking at the cedar trees, there are not many that are doable for a stand placement. The closest one i found might work about 125 yds straight north. A south wind is all i have to really work with here. Any ideas on "out of the box" stand placements in cedar thickets/crick bottoms?? Should i try to get closer or would anyone recommend starting back 200-250 yards or so and maybe observing? Then moving in closer later in the season on a good moon day? Thanks!

Too excited for 2015.

Eric

[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: First Buck Bed (with Beast Mindset) Found!

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 am

Would a lone wolf hang on give you better tree options? If not I know Dan and some others have used step ladders to get them off the ground some.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:54 am

I plan on purchasing an LW or XOP this spring. I currently use a Summit Hawk hang on and climbing sticks from Gorilla for my mobile set up. Its not bad but i really like the versa button set up and all cast platform instead of aluminum tubing. I did see a couple cedars i can climb the branches, which i have had success with before in tight places. This would lighten the load in and out. I will take another trip in there probably early march and see what i see again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:23 am

Great find... A lot of great bedding areas are found by me by backtracking deer I seen during the season.
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks Dan!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:12 am

Don't be afraid to hunt from the ground in natural vegetation. If you've got thick cedars you should be golden. Hunting from the ground is tougher, and you can't see nearly as far, but it has its place. Furthermore a pre-constructed ground blind location has zero noise involved with setting up. The buck in my avatar was killed from the ground near his bedding with a decoy out in front of me.
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:31 am

That's what i was thinking could be another option. Thanks Lockdown!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”