Bluffs and buck bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Bluffs and buck bedding

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:49 pm

I did some scouting on public where I killed my 7pt this year. On the map it looked steep but not Bluffs. The Ridge points were all steep Bluffs. I mean high vertical drops I'd say of around 30-60 foot. I didn't find any buck beds. No doe beds either. The points just didn't have bedding. I assume because they don't have escape routes down. However I did find rubs here and there along the Ridge. It seemed like the bluff edge was just lower than the 1/3rd elevation.

So where do bucks bed when you have Bluffs? Do I need to find areas that they might can traverse the Bluffs? Maybe they're just cruising the Ridge for does but bedding somewhere else.

I scouted another Ridge like this too a while back.

Just above the bluff it has these plants along with brush and blowdowns. There are some areas that aren't as thick but it drops vertical. Any ideas what this plant is?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Bluffs and buck bedding

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:28 am

I would not think a deer would bed on a bluff with no escape...a buck or a doe. If its not a shear rock face though, youd be surprised what they can traverse.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:34 am

HoosierG5 wrote:I would not think a deer would bed on a bluff with no escape...a buck or a doe. If its not a shear rock face though, youd be surprised what they can traverse.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree

I would look at other ridges that have good escapes. If there are no other ridges start looking for the types of bedding that is found in other terrains, like edge bedding.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:56 am

I found a mature buck bedding once righg at the base of the bluff. Nothing could come from the bluff side and he could see the majority of the bottoms from his bed. I always have wanted to go back mid day and slip up over the top and try and shoot him in his bed.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:19 am

GRUD wrote:I found a mature buck bedding once righg at the base of the bluff. Nothing could come from the bluff side and he could see the majority of the bottoms from his bed. I always have wanted to go back mid day and slip up over the top and try and shoot him in his bed.

Might have to come in from an angle if thats possible because I have seen a lot of bedding like this where the wind comes over the bluff an a vacuum effect in combination with thermals alerts the buck of your presence.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:58 am

Do will they bed at the base even if it puts them much lower than the main ridge? Like almost into the valley below? Or would they just find another ridge. I've heard of people walking Bluffs, looking down and killing bucks. Can't do that here though with those bushes.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:59 am

checkerfred wrote:Do will they bed at the base even if it puts them much lower than the main ridge? Like almost into the valley below? Or would they just find another ridge. I've heard of people walking Bluffs, looking down and killing bucks. Can't do that here though with those bushes.

They bed where they have a wind advantage... If they do not have one at the base, they won't bed there... I would say they are much more likely to have that advantage in the top 1/3 of the hill, but there are cases where the wind and thermals do weird things... Never say never.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:16 am

dan wrote:
checkerfred wrote:Do will they bed at the base even if it puts them much lower than the main ridge? Like almost into the valley below? Or would they just find another ridge. I've heard of people walking Bluffs, looking down and killing bucks. Can't do that here though with those bushes.

They bed where they have a wind advantage... If they do not have one at the base, they won't bed there... I would say they are much more likely to have that advantage in the top 1/3 of the hill, but there are cases where the wind and thermals do weird things... Never say never.

Thanks Dan. I plan to go back and walk the bottoms just to see. They do travel the area because i killed my 7 pt nearby. And I found rubs and doe tracks

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:07 am

checkerfred wrote:
dan wrote:

Thanks Dan. I plan to go back and walk the bottoms just to see. They do travel the area because i killed my 7 pt nearby. And I found rubs and doe tracks

I have one ridge I like to hunt in rut that connects bedding areas. Its a banana shaped ridge and I hunted it in the upper 1/3 and seen a few nice bucks, even shot a couple. But, I kept seeing bigger bucks at the bottom in the mornings. Not exactly sure, but it seems like the thermals have not kicked in yet and the bucks are cutting the distance rather than cruising the whole way around. Took me two seasons to understand the travel in that spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”