Scouting in deep snow...is it worth it?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thill

Scouting in deep snow...is it worth it?

Unread postby Thill » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:40 am

Hello All,

Cabin fever has set in here in W MI! I was thinking about getting out this weekend for my first scouting trip of 2015 but with over 12"-18" of snow covering the ground I am wondering if it will be worth it. Do bucks bed in the same area in deep snow as they would in Oct & Nov? I need the exercise so I'll probably check it out either way, but I'd still appreciate the input from some veteran scouters.

Thanks

headgear
500 Club

Re: Scouting in deep snow...is it worth it?

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:53 am

Generally no they will be living in winter ranges this time of year. You can scout and still pick up some info but it's probably best to wait for spring. That snow will also slow you way way down so you won't get as much done in the same amount of time, snowshoes will help but still slow you down.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:09 am

headgear wrote:Generally no they will be living in winter ranges this time of year. You can scout and still pick up some info but it's probably best to wait for spring. That snow will also slow you way way down so you won't get as much done in the same amount of time, snowshoes will help but still slow you down.

I would have to agree with this. Even where Im at here in mixed AG and woods, the places they are living and traveling has changed a LOT since the season ended. The main food sources here are gone (apples, cut corn, wheat fields, bait piles) and they seem to be browsing mostly other than feed piles, so the travel isnt really useful for hunting season.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:13 am

Nothing wrong with getting out now and learning the lay of the land at the very least. I will be doing the same thing this weekend. Can't say I ever had a scout even in deep snow where I thought later it was a waste of time. Every minute of scouting any time of the year will pay off later I promise. If you have the time do it. Too me nothing beats a late winter snowshoe adventure in areas people haven't been in since fall.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”