GPS of Preference

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

Re: GPS of Preference

Unread postby mike_mc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:18 am

186buck wrote:For those of you that bought the onxmap how does it work? I already have a chip in my gps so could I copy the info onto my current card if it's big enough? Or would I just have to start over with the new card? Also how is it for putting the info back onto your PC. I'm able to do that now so I'm wondering how that would work. I like to have all my data backed up in one spot I would have to lose my gps and not have a backup.

On onxmaps webstite, they sell a download of the maps that you can put into the internal memory of the gps. That way you could use your chip and Onxmaps.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:27 am

I always rely on my Garmin GPS. I just upgraded from a 2nd generation Etrex to a 62s. I am still learning all of the new functionality of the 62s. Being able to add a geo-located custom trail map is an awesome feature. I also have Trimble maps on my Galaxy S3 for some of the satellite mapping but it is slow and unreliable in the areas I hunt. I paid for the subscription to Trimlble maps to see the public/private land boundaries but found that info to be over 3 years old.

I am also going to download the OnxMaps app to see what that has to offer. The coverage looks a little sparse in here in New England.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:43 pm

I've seen some properties with wrong land owners names on on x maps. I was like he doesn't own that and I verified it just by going on county gis tax records.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Etrex 30. Take a waypoint and then a still pic then a video like bowhunter15. Just started his way but I like it.

Like the GPS for the same reasons. I can leave my phone off or away for emergencies and use the GPS.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:I always rely on my Garmin GPS. I just upgraded from a 2nd generation Etrex to a 62s. I am still learning all of the new functionality of the 62s. Being able to add a geo-located custom trail map is an awesome feature. I also have Trimble maps on my Galaxy S3 for some of the satellite mapping but it is slow and unreliable in the areas I hunt. I paid for the subscription to Trimlble maps to see the public/private land boundaries but found that info to be over 3 years old.

I am also going to download the OnxMaps app to see what that has to offer. The coverage looks a little sparse in here in New England.

Bob

I have etrex 20 for now, but 62s is on my short list

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:17 am

olivertractor wrote:I have etrex 20 for now, but 62s is on my short list

I picked mine up at Cabelas for less than $200.00. If you keep and eye on it you can do the same. Keep in mind that the 62s doesn't come with topo maps. You can find the Garmin maps for around $100.00. I downloaded the free topo's at GPS File Depot and I am currently using those.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:16 am

The topo's from gps file depot are better than what you get from Garmin Or atleast they where better when I bought my gps a few years ago. I would not pay for the topo maps from Garmin.
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 am

186buck wrote:The topo's from gps file depot are better than what you get from Garmin Or atleast they where better when I bought my gps a few years ago. I would not pay for the topo maps from Garmin.

I agree that's why I'd go with 62s

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:35 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
olivertractor wrote:I have etrex 20 for now, but 62s is on my short list

I picked mine up at Cabelas for less than $200.00. If you keep and eye on it you can do the same. Keep in mind that the 62s doesn't come with topo maps. You can find the Garmin maps for around $100.00. I downloaded the free topo's at GPS File Depot and I am currently using those.

Bob

I'm gonna run it on my etrex 20 and see how it is otherwise I'm getting the 62s, thanx

186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:25 am

Has anyone run into properties that are not lable correct on Onxmaps. The land owner being wrong I'm ok with but It would be bad if it was labeled ok to hunt but it's really not in the program. I've ran into people that take it out of the program and I would understand it may not be right then. I guess I'll try it out and just keep cross checking it to make sure it's right.
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:58 am

I have a Garmin 62s. I used to use my phone but it drains the battery and the public land boundries on Trimble are not accurate. I use Onyx maps wich are awesome and I love being able to leave my GPS on all day on one set of batteries.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”