Is it possible to scout an area too much

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Is it possible to scout an area too much

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:39 am

Always seeing that this is the time of year to scout and deer forget about us by the time hunting season rolls around. I am wondering is it possible to spend too much time in a singular area? Would this be just as likely to cause a buck to relocate if we are spending a lot of time in an area, manipulating the property, etc? What is the big difference between scent left from scouting versus hunting?

Also, how is you think, that deer can tell the difference between a hunter versus non-hunter?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Is it possible to scout an area too much

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 am

I think you can over scout or pressure a specific buck but one - 2 days of scouting a area completely should be fine. Even if we did spook a specific buck another buck will takeover the bed if it's near the top of the picking order. As far as a buck not seeing us as a threat the guns stop the pressure decreases and they still aren't going to act dumb on any public land. Unless that deer lives in a city neighborhood that no one has ever hunted it will fear humans. Deer study humans every bit as much as we study them they learn our patterns most humans follow the same trails sit the same stands year after year go to the same jobs we are very boring creatures that do a repetitive cycle near everyday. As far as scent the deer knows human scent it doesn't matter what time of year.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:10 am

If you want to tear up an area get the job done in a week or couple weeks and you should be fine. If you go back month after month and get too close to the season in general I could see a little blowback from too much scouting, even then I think you could scout an area opening day in sept and still get the job done later on in the season if you played your cards right.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 am

Another thing on your side is that the range/area deer spend time at during the year changes. Just because your intruding on a deer's bedding area now doesn't necessarily mean they are primarily using it now. I think any damage you do know will be forgotten by the time september/october rolls around.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”