Hillbilly goes marshing

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zona
500 Club

Hillbilly goes marshing

Unread postby Zona » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:06 pm

Well sort of....even though I am surrounded by mountains I decided to scout some of the river bottom behind my house today. Every year, rifile guys shoot some really nice bucks in this area so I decided to take a look.
My target area was a knob next to the river that is surrounded by corn fields(red dot, blue is bedding, white are rubs, black is river crossing). It didn't take long to realize this place was a bust. No sign, no cover.....nothin. I was already a half mile from my truck so I decided to look at a 40 acre wetland area about another quarter mile downstream (North dots, top of pic). I have driven by this area many times and wondered if the mid west marsh boys tactics would work here in PA. I have heard Dan state many times to walk the transition lines so I figured what the heck, no football on TV today that matters, might as well. I was greeted by this as soon as I enter the marsh.
I thought to myself, holy crap, this guy might know what he is talking about!! :think: I walked to the transition between cattails and timber and found a few more rubs and a possible bed.
There were only a hand full of rubs and the area looked to be used by a doe group more so than a buck, but my interest had been tripped. I decided to walk back up river and ran across these.
I followed the tracks through a cut corn field and on to a small island in the river. We got a fresh snow Friday and I found this at the stream crossing where he went onto the island.
I continued to follow his tracks as he lead me through his sanctuary. We passed areas where he fed. We passed old rubs, new rubs and some old/new combo rubs.
Our tour lead us to this nice rub cluster and potential bed.
The tracks lead me to 3 different beds,(blue dots on island), without using any of them. It was like he was checking them out and then left the island. Anyone else ever see a buck do this? Pretty cool. One thing us hillbillies need to learn is. Marsh = water. Don't cross the water in 20" high boots if the water is 24".

PK_
500 Club

Re: Hillbilly goes marshing

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Looks like a darn good track. Now that is what I call a fun day in the field. Nice report.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
hunter_mike

Re: Hillbilly goes marshing

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Awesome scouting trip!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”