Deer chewing beds???????

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bogle

Deer chewing beds???????

Unread postby Bogle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 am

I just finished doing some scouting in an area that I have hunted but have never really scouted from the ground. Basically, it is an over grown pasture that has 4" round pine saplings etc...... dispursed through out. It is very thick and fairly large and we see alot of deer going in to it to bed in the mornings. However, when I scouted it for "true" beds, I found several areas that had single beds in front of large bushes. As I got closer to the bushes it looked like something had chewed the the buses off, right where a deer's back would lay up against the bushes. Height wise, I would say it was from ground level to 2 and half feet. The chewed out area's only appeared to be on one side of the bush and there would appear to be a single bed in the same spot. I also seemed to find them close to trails that were going to and from feeding areas.

I was thinking the bucks that were using these beds might have just been using them during the rut and they may have "nipped" off the branches to get closer to the bushes in an effort to conceal themselves from danger given the limited number of trees. The twigs they were bitting off were about the size of a "pinky" finger so a deer would not be able to bed next to a bush unless he cleared it out, due to the size of the "twigs".

whitetailassasin

Re: Deer chewing beds???????

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:04 pm

My guess, and it's just that, is that the deer using that bed and headed down those trails was browsing. I've found beds like this. I figured because the small branches were young=tender and the foilage removed was also just there browse before heading to bigger or primary food sources. Just a guess though

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bogle

Re: Deer chewing beds???????

Unread postby Bogle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Yea, I thought that as well. It just seemed odd as I had not seen it in beds in the "woods".

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”