Which land or areas to scout in general? When and why?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Which land or areas to scout in general? When and why?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:59 pm

dan wrote:I look for areas that are remote and get little hunting pressure, or areas that are thick, wet, and nasty, where deer can grow old despite pressure.

Im still looking for something like this. I had a couple picked out and one was a bust. Private land on the back side had claimed the area, I should not have been surprised looking back now. Another spot is still very good, but had local beast like hunters already onto the spot, and they worked hard to get back in there. At least I know I'm in the right direction. This way of hunting is NOT for everyone, not even close. Its work! Seriously! Scouting. Planning. Online mapping. Topo checking. Patterning hunters. Patterning bucks. Finding beds. Finding sheds. Hanging Stands. Driving around... Lucky for me I find all that work incredibly fun, addicting and totally worth it!

Ill keep at it and get a few more scouting trips in the next month, and more once the snow melts. Personally, I like scouting the late season/pressure beds just as much.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:46 pm

I forgot to mention canoe access, when I paddle somewhere that looks decent I usually find the goods or at least find that a mature buck is in the area.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:04 am

headgear wrote:I forgot to mention canoe access, when I paddle somewhere that looks decent I usually find the goods or at least find that a mature buck is in the area.

Thats my favorite so far, boat access... The one good spot is boat access only for public, but private land backs up to it. They dont pressure it much because it SO thick. Do you look for boat access spots that literally cant be accessed without a boat? OR just public guys need a boat to get there? Im trying hard to find somewhere like an island, that anybody would need a boat for, public and private hunters.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:55 am

I look for both. Some spots are boat access to get to public land where the only other access is private land. The private guys have a few stands up on public but mostly stick to their land and often push the mature bucks into the nasty part of the public where I can at least get a crack at them. Everything else is big public land where a canoe can get me into locations that would be hard or impossible to access on foot, you also leave pretty much 99% of the other hunters behind so you can have the place to yourself.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:56 am

I look for areas I've never seen anyone hunt. There is several areas over the years everyone drives right by. Hunters seem to be creatures of habit they hunt the same 2-3 areas all the time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:14 pm

I try to find areas or specific layouts that I understand. This is getting me into a lot of areas but spread too thin. Specifically picking rut areas is not a real surprise but I want the best locations for rut and will go anywhere for it.
My possible areas will have a best NW wind location as well. This feels like what a buck might do as he goes to bed each day. The other hunters that are not worried about early season, late season, north wind beds, south wind beds, funnels are JUST NOT AS DANGEROUS.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:03 am

A important criteria for me in hill/mountain country that has been working well is to look for multiple potential bedding location in close proximity to each other. A cluster like the pic below gets my attention and is worth checking out.
Like most, I only have so much time to scout. Locating areas like the above pic helps me maximize the chances of a good bedding area with the limited time I have.
Last edited by Zona on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:13 am

Great example zona. And don't forget to cyberscout for the lone point for a given wind. With no other good points it could be "easy picking" on certain conditions. Pressure or wrong cover obviously would knock that site out easily.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:18 am

From my experience, the places that I initially look at and say "No way I'm getting through there" generally prove to be the best places to look. As Dan and others have already mentioned the swampy, thick nasty stuff is where the big boys hang out.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:05 pm

Twenty Up wrote:From my experience, the places that I initially look at and say "No way I'm getting through there" generally prove to be the best places to look. As Dan and others have already mentioned the swampy, thick nasty stuff is where the big boys hang out.

I agree and that's been working for me. The last 2 posts on topos were great too. Good info guys

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:31 pm

I agree with Singing Bridge... if you have a decent spot close to home, a place you can get to frequently and conveniently, it is an opportunity for you to hone your craft. It is worth scouting it and hunting it, even if it isn't the place you will shoot the biggest buck of your life... you can take those skills you develope close to home, and use them anywhere! Scouting and interpreting sign IS the hunt.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm

KLEMZ wrote:I agree with Singing Bridge... if you have a decent spot close to home, a place you can get to frequently and conveniently, it is an opportunity for you to hone your craft. It is worth scouting it and hunting it, even if it isn't the place you will shoot the biggest buck of your life... you can take those skills you develope close to home, and use them anywhere! Scouting and interpreting sign IS the hunt.

I just re-read that post too and I couldnt agree more. Ive done decent at home but didnt fully understand what/when/why I was having success. Now apply this new knowledge really starts to explain a lot, I mean A LOT! I can now pick any old property and find the best or some of the best spots on it, in person reasonably fast. Its actually kind of amazing. I took a buddy that hunts, and he was blown away at how fast I knew where to go. All from caltopo, google earth, and of course this site. Now Im not saying my strategy will be perfect, but at least I know where the big bucks live and travel.
Now to follow the advise above and find some new public to scout for fall...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”