Spot Checks

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Spot Checks

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Today I wanted to scout and spot check an area that I have not hunted this year due to a lack of time and other factors. My mission was twofold- first, I wanted to see if a 3.5 year old I have been monitoring since this last spring made it through the Lower Peninsula of Michigan public land gun seasons. Then, I wanted to move into the preferred bedding area of a mature buck that I also have scouted out to see if he made it as well.

First, the 3.5 year old- I have a number of bucks that I have left alone that are this age in the hopes that they would get to the age of 4.5 for next year. My reasoning was that a 3.5 year old in a heavily pressured area has little chance of being taken by a hunter, there are so few that possess that skillset. I was thrilled to approach his preferred bedding area and find fresh tracks and rubs from the buck. He is finally ranging out a bit after the circus of the Michigan gun seasons.

In most of my hunting areas in the Lower Peninsula public, we have a bumper acorn crop this year. They are still available in huge quantities. The red oak acorns have had plenty of time to leach out some of there bitterness (tannins) and the deer are sucking them up like Hoover vacuum cleaners.

Finally I wanted to check on the SwampBeast and see how he was doing. I wasn't looking foreward to this, as he prefers to hole up in a very remote, small and overlooked primary bedding area. With a heavy water table and small amounts of ice I figured he would be back in his favorite lair... It wasn't long after beginning the arduous journey that I went swimming... no big, I do this a lot. Fortunately, after cursing my bad luck, I didn't travel far before finding a fresh rub from the SwampBeast. I was fired up that he was alive and well. I cut his tracks and fresh droppings in the bedding area before calling it a day.

With winter preparing to hit hard again, the SwampBeast will likely abandon his lair until the ice becomes safe. The three year old above will likely get bumped out, as it is a good bedding area for a buck to avoid detection. The SwampBeast preferred bedding area is just plain godawful to get to.

All my gear is drying out after my swim... a great day as far as I'm concerned.

Justin85

Re: Spot Checks

Unread postby Justin85 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Great read and pictures. Love seeing pictures and explanations.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Yep good stuff, singing glad to see they made it!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:05 pm

always enjoy your scouting forays
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Great day in the woods! Nice day for a swim too! LOL

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:28 pm

8-)

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Looks good bridge... the reds look about the same down here in the southern lower... I seen something pretty cool the other day on my scouting trip. I found a small water hole in the oaks about 20 ft long by 10 ft wide. .. there were red acorns all around but where the water hole had dried up a little the deer had the leaves all tore up around the edges getting the acorns that had leached out from setting in the water... I should have took a pic. . I thought it was a neat little thing to remember.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Good stuff Bridge. Red acorns are getting hammered here also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 am

8-)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:41 am

Fun & exciting stuff!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:20 am

oldrank wrote:Looks good bridge... the reds look about the same down here in the southern lower... I seen something pretty cool the other day on my scouting trip. I found a small water hole in the oaks about 20 ft long by 10 ft wide. .. there were red acorns all around but where the water hole had dried up a little the deer had the leaves all tore up around the edges getting the acorns that had leached out from setting in the water... I should have took a pic. . I thought it was a neat little thing to remember.

That will definitely focus their feeding location. The woods road I was on yesterday has a spot where there is a huge water hole flooded across it. The road is flooded and it extends 30 - 40 yards off both sides. There are several mature red oaks right there, and the acorns were blown by the wind to one side of the waterhole. There were hundreds of doe and fawn tracks here as they were taking advantage of the easy pickings.

The dogwood and young aspen are being browsed quite a bit right now by the deer, as I can see where they recently nipped off the ends.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:46 am

Awesome scout. When are you planning on trying for these old boys?

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:03 am

Just get yourself a good wetsuit. :lol:

I would much rather deal with snakes and gators than freezing water. This Floridian just isn't built for that stuff.

Nice report. Hope you catch up with one of those monarchs next year!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:39 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Just get yourself a good wetsuit. :lol:

I would much rather deal with snakes and gators than freezing water. This Floridian just isn't built for that stuff.

Nice report. Hope you catch up with one of those monarchs next year!

I dunno about that. I'm thinking somewhere halfway in between. No gators and maybe no snakes but not super cold lol.

Nice post bridge! I love seeing the bedding spots. Helps me to see what I need to look for.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:42 am

Swampthing wrote:Awesome scout. When are you planning on trying for these old boys?

It will be next fall, this season I had a couple of priorities that superceded deer hunting. I had one close encounter with one of my target bucks (mature) on opening morning of Michigan's gun season... he approached within 40 yards of my tree but I had no shot. With a 7 Mag in my hands that's a tough pill to swallow, it took me 2 full days to get over it. It still makes me mad.

Next year I hope to be able to spend more time deer hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”