Andrae, do you have your own trail cam yet ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Andrae, do you have your own trail cam yet ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:44 am

One of my moultrie's took a crap this weekend, or atleast I think it did... It will not arm for me... tried pulling batteries in and out, turning on and off multiple times....NOTHING ! Will someone please make a trail cam that last longer than 3 years and doesn't cost $500...

What do you say Andrae ? I know Dan was talking about Andrae designing his own trail cam. I hope it comes soon and has the success that his Lone Wolf items have had...

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Andrae, do you have your own trail cam yet ?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:43 am

Can't speak for Andrae's cams, but the Predators that Dan is selling here have treated me well.

Some Predator cameras I previously had were sent in for battery issues and they fixed them free of charge. No reciept, no questions and over one year from purchase; just from conversations with Perry and the new owner.

Was real impressed with my last phone conversation regarding their customer service, the guy really wanted to make sure I was happy and satisfied.......and I am.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Can't speak for Andrae's cams, but the Predators that Dan is selling here have treated me well.

Some Predator cameras I previously had were sent in for battery issues and they fixed them free of charge. No reciept, no questions and over one year from purchase; just from conversations with Perry and the new owner.

Was real impressed with my last phone conversation regarding their customer service, the guy really wanted to make sure I was happy and satisfied.......and I am.

Yes, I have heard that Predator does bend over backwards for their customers, which is great to hear, but I also have heard of guys having problems with the camera's too... I just wish you could buy a great dependable camera for $200 bucks... Maybe there will be soon, hopefully ?
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Sounds to me like we are ALL on the same page with the trail cameras out there these days. With the money I have spent the last five years on trail cameras, I could have bought my own trail camera company. The best luck I have had has been with the predator, but it to has issues I need to get fixed after the season. I'm in the market for a new one but I will hold off till I see what Andrae has in store for us ;)
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:10 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I just wish you could buy a great dependable camera for $200 bucks... Maybe there will be soon, hopefully ?

Have you tried the Cuddeback cams? Just curious about getting a little more info on them.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:39 am

NatureBoy wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I just wish you could buy a great dependable camera for $200 bucks... Maybe there will be soon, hopefully ?

Have you tried the Cuddeback cams? Just curious about getting a little more info on them.

I have not, but have a buddy that has one and he had problems with his, I think he said it would drain the battery down in two days.... I realize they all don't do this, but every brand I can think of, has problems sooner or later... The only one I have never heard a bad thing about is, the Reconyx camera's... But I'm not paying $500 for one... So, I don't know, I think I'm going away from the camera's and just do alot of spring scouting to know what's out there.... Just sick of hearing about all the different brands out there and seems like everyone of them have a problem one way or another...
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:11 am

The problem is definitely the money. My buddy and my Dad and I all went in on some cams and bar none the only one that has performed flawlessly in every aspect is the Reconyx HC600. But you are talking about $550. However if you are frequently replacing cams and batteries that cost isn't really that high. So far everyone in my group wants to chip in on a 2011 Reconyx when they come out and forget everything else.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:44 pm

NatureBoy wrote:

I can't really see spending 500-600 bucks for a piece of equipment that might only last a few years or become outdated by new technology. Sooner of later someone will come out with a camera that is super dependable and affordable, the trail camera industry is still young. I have a cuddeback capture and have no major complaints except that lately it has started sucking major battery and it isnt even cold yet.
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I have a bushnell and havent really had any problems with it, but I know some other people who have. I did buy a new one and it didnt work out of the box so hopefully soon someone will come out with a good one.
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:43 pm

I purchased three of the new HCO scoutguards this year and I'm super happy with them. The way I see it is you can spend 500$+ for one cam or get three 200$ scoutguards and cover a ton more ground with them. They are electronics and I don't know of any electronic equipment that is going to last forever. If I get 2-3 seasons I'll consider them worth it. They also are compatible with a "black flash" slave flash to eliminate the red glow.
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Have you called Moultrie & asked them about fixing your camera? I just sent both of mine in again this spring because you could not read the LED display. It costed me shipping to them, they fixed them for free and returned them to me on their dime.

I too think dropping $500 on a camera is crazy when in a year or two something better will be coming along. I much rather purchase 2 or 3 cheaper cameras and use them.

Call Moultrie and talk to them. They fixed mine, no reason they will not fix yours.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Treejunkie wrote:Have you called Moultrie & asked them about fixing your camera? I just sent both of mine in again this spring because you could not read the LED display. It costed me shipping to them, they fixed them for free and returned them to me on their dime.

I too think dropping $500 on a camera is crazy when in a year or two something better will be coming along. I much rather purchase 2 or 3 cheaper cameras and use them.

Call Moultrie and talk to them. They fixed mine, no reason they will not fix yours.

How old was your camera Treejunkie ? I think mine are on their 3rd year now, not sure on that. I'm just wondering was yours covered because of warranty or did they still fix it even though it was older ? I have two other Moultries that still arm and work, but like yours, its hard to read the LCD on it... Maybe I will try that, I got nothing to lose I guess..
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:53 am

Mine are at least 3-4 years old. They are the I-40's and I have had them quite a while. Call and talk to them. I'm sending you a pm.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:46 am

I wish Sony or one of the major camera companies would get into the trail cam game.You can buy top of the line electronic's cheaper than what these trail cams are costing.I still have 2 of the MAD wildlife eyes.Which now are such a nightmare to deal with I dont even use them anymore.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 pm

I am too in the market for new cameras but cannot justify spending 500 bucks. I'd rather gamble and buy 5-6 of the cheap wildlife innovations cameras or whatever the new cheap ones are gander is selling and hope they last through the next season. No piece of equipment is meant to be kept outside for 5-6months of the year. Its kind of ridiculous and neat these companies are trying it and are improving but when you think about it, to get that much life out of an electronic device that sits out in the woods all season is impressive. Its sad they are so damn expensive. Has anyone tried the build your own kits? I am leaning towards cuddeback for next season.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”