Finding sign

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ridgerunner8

Finding sign

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Just wondering how You guys search for promising locations, what I'm looking for is, say You find good bedding points,or ravines on say google earth, down load way points to Your gps go there,when Your there scouting do You do a grid search follow trails ,what do You do ?

lungpuncher1

Re: Finding sign

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Transition lines are always my first stop. Either hard or soft transition lines. Soft being thick stuff into hardwoods. Hard transition being open field to hardwoods or thick stuff.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
pitz0022

Re: Finding sign

Unread postby pitz0022 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:52 am

I'm a rookie but here is what I've been doing:
Using the spots I marked on my GPS, I walk spot to spot. Between those spots, I try to walk on trails. In the area I've been scouting recently the terrain often dictates where I can and can't walk due to cliffs, ravines too steep to cross, etc. and the game trails tend to show the way around those obstacles. I try not to walk the field edges too much, or if I do, I try to walk the parallel trail a few yards back in the woods.

Once I identify specific beds it is time to do the detail work. I go back and try to get a good feel for where the trails are, where that buck is likely to go where sattelite beds may be, How I get in there, etc.

I have found it easy to get tunnel vision while scouting. I have to remind myself to stop and look up and around every now and again. Be observant of the surroundings as they can play a role in the big picture.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”