First attempt at finding overlooked beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

pitz0022

First attempt at finding overlooked beds

Unread postby pitz0022 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:47 am

So I have been reading alot on here and a common theme is to look for the overlooked areas. In my virtual scouting and limited exposure to this area, I feel the spots east of the blue line may be overlooked by many hunters due to their swampy topography and proximity to the road. I also think most guys are drawn to the hills and fields to the west. I made an attempt at guessing where I may find beds by putting some red dots on the page. I'm done hunting for the year but hope to get back down scouting a few times before new years. What do you guys think? am I totally off base or is it worth taking a walk back into these areas? This seems to be a hybrid of Hill country and Marsh bucks tactics (neither of which video I will have seen until after christmas).

Crazinamatese

Re: First attempt at finding overlooked beds

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

Oh yeah! Its a good idea to check all those places you marked.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 am

Also, if you zoom in closer on those online aerial maps, you might be able to see trails coming in and out of those thickets.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Oh yea, you are on the right track.

If that is swampy, usually the bucks won't be bedded on those bigger islands unless the are shaped right… generally they are bedded just to the periphery on a very small dry hump, usually just one or two trees on them(that info is in the Marsh DVD).

Also, I would recommend watching the DVDs before going there to scout if at all possible.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:37 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Also, if you zoom in closer on those online aerial maps, you might be able to see trails coming in and out of those thickets.

Yep. Found those trails on th aerials too.

Thanks for the input guys. My brother and I are going down Saturday to get a feel for the lay of the land at a couple of other spots so If I have extra time I'll take a walk back into these spots. If I take the field access road it is exactly 1 mile to the eastern most field in the picture. If I cut cross country it is shorter but I'm not sure exactly how wet it is (hopefully frozen solid).

If I don't get in there this weekend, I'll probably take a day off work next week and go scout for another day. This is about a 2 hour drive so not just go check after work but certainly doable for day trips. My brother hasn't necessarily bought into the Beast tactics yet which is good and bad. It means we won't probably be competing for spots and since we usually do our own scouting and compare notes afterwards it shouldn't be an issue. It is nice to have someone to split gas with though.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”