Buck Bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dutch

Buck Bed?

Unread postby Dutch » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 am

This picture is from the south facing north and a little to the east.

Image I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death, but bare with me new to the site. I also haven't researched all the threads yet. Picked a piece of public land next to my house to scout and concentrate my efforts for next year. The reason I chose this property is because its almost all swamp and not that hard it from what I know. I went out today and walked the transition line for awhile. My plan was to find a rub follow the line and try to find a buck bedding area. Never found a single rub. Getting frustrated I walked a few feet further then found this bed. Sorry pictures sideways. No rubs at all. Does that mean this is not a buck bed because theres no rubs in the area? I'm guessing too its not primary because there was no poop. Definitely matted down with hair but I would think the area would be a little more beat up. Walked a circle for a little ways and this was the only bed. Its real close to the swamp.Tuff to tell from the first picture. Maybe 40 yards from a run and a scrape. Pics aren't good but what do you guys think?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck Bed?

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:37 pm

It probably was a bucks bed... But I would not expect much out of it. if you can't find a single rub on the property, I would look elsewhere... All bucks rub trees. It could be your looking in the wrong areas though?
Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Thats what I figured As far as it being a bucks bed but not much promise. Theres still more to scout on the property. So is that the plan. Find a rub line and follow it to a bucks bed?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:37 am

Dutch wrote:Thats what I figured As far as it being a bucks bed but not much promise. Theres still more to scout on the property. So is that the plan. Find a rub line and follow it to a bucks bed?

No... Thats not how I would do it... I would look for bedding features and over looked portions of the property and concentrate my scouting efforts there. If I find good sign in those areas I would consider expanding my efforts.
Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:20 am

I think I found one. Picked up where I left off on the transition line last week. Found a run leading to a pair of islands in the swamp. Walking at times in knee high water. Got onto the island and about 40 yards on found this bed. Lots of hair. Very large and fresh poop on the island. From what I've read i don't think it was made from does although it is very big. There wasn't any small poop either so that made me feel more confident too. No fawns. Nice and big old oaks on the island. Definitely no reason to leave when there falling. Extremely thick and wet off the island with a few escape routes. Surprised the bed was on the island though. The deer are absolutely covering the run i used to get there by bedding there. The escape routes are nasty. A few scrapes in one spot but still no rubs yet. Well see. This hunting strategy has me fired up.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 am

Sounds like a better situation!!! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”