deer leaving areas

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ridgerunner8

deer leaving areas

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:29 am

What causes deer to leave big areas ? a certain publicland had deer sign in early season ,I go back to that mountain after the gun season
to scout, and I don't find but two sets of tracks ,it's like the deer were never there .where did they go ?

whitetailassasin

Re: deer leaving areas

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:40 am

I have an area by me that becomes void of deer also. I think the pressure and food sources have them migrating. Would like to see the responses to this

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:51 am

Pressure, food source change, winter home ranges, better thermal or security cover elsewhere... Plus after gun season there is a lot less of them to make sign...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:03 am

If the spot has good bedding and food sources, then pressure is most likely the reason. If it doesn't have good bedding and food, then that's more likely the reason. If the right ingredients (bedding, food, low pressure) are there, the deer should be there. If one of those things is missing, the deer will most likely leave the area.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:39 am

PLB wrote:Pressure, food source change, winter home ranges, better thermal or security cover elsewhere... Plus after gun season there is a lot less of them to make sign...

Spot on...
ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks Guys, so I think if You looked on google earth at the whole area around, You should be able to find where they have gone by looking for the food and cover in the area .
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Also look at excess ability and pressure deer will migrate to feeding areas where people aren't

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:53 pm

This is a great question and one I really don't have an answer for. I have seen bucks leave an area for a year or two and then come back. Most of the bucks that disappear are are killed by other hunters I do know this for sure. I see this all the time. I think it is just a matter of them ending up where they do for no reason. Food sources change all the time so I really don't think that is it. I mean other bucks stay in the area so why wouldn't that buck that doesn't?

All the surrounding areas have pressure. It is just in a different area. So why would a certain buck leave and some stay? I have thought of it a lot and just can't come up with a logical reason.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
megwan

Unread postby megwan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Ive noticed the same thing over the last 10 years near my house. My thoughts are food source changes. The deer seem to be around here til right around beginning of december and then disappear. There is a lot of oaks around us, and on years with bumper acorn crops they tend to stay around longer regardless of cold temps or snow cover.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”