topo maps with gps's from smart phones

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

topo maps with gps's from smart phones

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:40 pm

I don't have a smart phone but am wondering if there is an app that would help me find where I am with a gps and have it put on a topo map. I can take gps cords on my gps but have no way to accuratly find out where the gps cord are on a topo map. How do I find out where my cords are on my topo maps??? Does anyone do this??

hunter_mike

Re: topo maps with gps's from smart phones

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:41 pm

so you have a gps, and you want to use your gps coords to locate yourself on a paper map?

They make scales for converting gps coords onto paper maps, https://www.maptools.com/lat_lon_tools

but why not just get topo maps installed on your gps for free? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks hunter_Mike, I do have some topos on my GPS but the screen is so small and the elevation lines are only every 20' or so. It is hard to tell where I am at when I look at the GPS and a paper map. I really want to line up GPS cord on to a paper map, hand a big map in my basement so I can remember all my hunting spots. I am already starting to forget may spots cause I can't keep all of them in my head.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:10 am

How about exporting your GPS info into a program like caltopo then printing the maps?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 am

That seems like what I am thinkinging of. Don't know how to do it cause I am real bad at knowing how to download stuff. I will look into it. Any other questions are greatly apreciated. Also,,,, How does everyone else remember their spots form one year to the next? I have about 10 that I think are hot and have already caught myself wondering how to get there. I remember in my mind what it looks like, remember being there, just can't remember exactly how ta get there.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:12 pm

I like caltopo.com. I can put the crosshairs on the area and print. Tells me just were I need to be and records the cords. Any other suggestions?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:22 pm

hey ihookem, do you have a google account? If you do, you can save maps on caltopo and come back and look at them any time you can get online. I go on caltopo when im on work trips and mark a bunch of stuff up so when i come home for the weekend, i have all those spots plugged right into my gps and I know right where im headed. And its kind of nice to have that stuff saved online instead of a paper map although a paper map does have obvious advantages. If you draw a line on caltopo you can save it as a route to follow on your gps too.

Bowhunter15's video explains stuff a lot better than i do, not sure if you have watched it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pg17-CIXSU
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 am

Hunter_Mike, I don't have a google account but I will get one. My son would know more about this stuff than me and he will do it. This is a good idea. I knew there was something out there like that. Good idea. I just can't remember all the spots anymore. Then I remember them but can't remember where they are, even when looking on a map. If I have them on a topo , with notes, trail directions, kind sof trees, what I saw there that I liked, and what wind direction I should hunt in would really help me a lot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”