Where are all the bucks?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Where are all the bucks?

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Through checking areas I scouted this past spring and finding new bedding areas this year in season I've been into a lot of bedding areas this season, both public and private. A lot of these beds have all of the signs you would look for in good big buck bedding: rubs, isolated, points, transitions, thickets, escape routes, etc.

However, I haven't seen new sign, this years rubs, scrapes, etc. in hardly any of them. All of the old rubs and staging areas indicate to me that at least one buck used many of these spots at one point for one reason or another. Yet many of these spots just seem void of life this last month.

So I'm wondering, are there just that many more good bedding areas than there are bucks here or is it maybe just due to the low population right now? Do you guys see the same things?

If I ever get a year when the numbers are high I think I'll be into some good bed hunting action. :D

fauxfly

Re: Where are all the bucks?

Unread postby fauxfly » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Hey addict

I'm observing the exact same thing - I had about 8 or 10 buck beds (spring scouted ) on a map of the timber I hunt and not much activity so far this season. I hunt pretty highly pressured public and I can almost bet money on where the "non-beast" guys go. I avoid these areas and believe the traffic in them would make the beds I've located even more desirable for the mature bucks in my area. I don't see the beds being used at all - what it looks like from my eyes - but who knows???

The beds I located were pretty classic also - top 1/3 of leeward side ridges, some cover behind and open and able to see a long way down the ridge looking out front of the buck bed.

haven't noticed any rut action yet either - maybe I stink too much or make too much noise walking in???
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm not as familiar with hill country bedding so I'm not sure on that. Did you find actual beds in your spots or were you just going based on the terrain where you would expect a buck to bed?

I'm hunting a lot of marsh and swamp ground and the beds I've been hunting are clear as day. I have actually seen and been in a lot of the beds after the fact, followed the actual buck trails to the staging areas which are often, but not always, littered with rubs from recent years... just not this year. Without a doubt I'm on buck beds, the bucks just don't seem to be using them lately.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

I think the numbers are lower this year from what I've seen. My hunting party has seen very few deer sightings lately. Could be pressure but still it's like the consistent activity I've seen the past ten years just isn't there.

However on my property it seems like a late rut. Scrapes are still being hammered although not as many bucks as previous years but the fact they are still scraping heavily and all we are seeing is yearlings cruising, especially after a big cold front tells me the best is yet to come. Usually the scrapes are starting to be abandoned by now.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:03 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I think the numbers are lower this year from what I've seen. My hunting party has seen very few deer sightings lately. Could be pressure but still it's like the consistent activity I've seen the past ten years just isn't there.

However on my property it seems like a late rut. Scrapes are still being hammered although not as many bucks as previous years but the fact they are still scraping heavily and all we are seeing is yearlings cruising, especially after a big cold front tells me the best is yet to come. Usually the scrapes are starting to be abandoned by now.

Agreed. I'm hearing and seeing the yearling activity as well and the scraping is just heating up here. I think next weekend should have some better big buck rutting activity.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:06 am

Deer #'s in my area of Kansas are still low due to two years of EHD back to back.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”