Is this an example of a rut funnel?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. bownut
500 Club

Is this an example of a rut funnel?

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:03 pm

I just turned in a vacation slip for the first 5 working day's of Nov. and have been looking over maps of some state land for the thousandth time and noticed how the red brush gets pinched down right on the river bend with what could be bedding on each side where the red brush gets wider again. Where would you set up a stand and can you point out other potential bedding? North, south, and east there isn't much but swampy woods and higher hunter pressure and to the west is a fair amount of farm land. What time would you go to a spot like this way before dark or in the "gray light"?

"Freedom Isn't Free"
Zap

Re: Is this an example of a rut funnel?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Not what I would call that but I would look for beds in the clump of trees behind the base of your arrow....especially the northern end where it comes to a point .
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

I would not call that a funnel either, but IO would expect rut cruising on a parallel trail there skirting the bedding.
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:47 am

Ok thanks. I know there really isn't any actual terrain features to "Funnel" the movement but I thought with everything getting pinched down between the hardwoods and river it would concentrate cruising movement.

As a side note this spot is part of the same property Dan came up and scouted with me this spring. While he was here we concentrated on bedding areas a little way's to the south but when we came to other spots with parallel trails I was able to see exactly what they look like on this same property so know I exactly what i'm looking for and can set up and hunt without going in there now to scout.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:59 am

Sometimes the less obvious terrain features on a topo of or aerial can be dynamite on public land. Everybody and their brother hunts the obvious funnels. Definitely worth a rut hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:21 am

Hmmm. A little surprised at the other answers. That is exactly what I would consider a rut funnel.

Not sure what the rivier does there to the NE but theoretically you want to hunt the bow that sticks out the furthest in any particular direction.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:26 am

I usually only pick funnels on topos\hilly areas and struggle in this habitat so thanks for posting. It is a good looking example and I see your reasoning. Edge transition on left and river bumping in from right so put it on the possible list.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:08 am

I don't see anything that stands out on this picture. I will bet that if it is in the big woods and there is a ridge along the river ,, there is also a trail. I have read and have seen several times how bucks move on the trails that parralel a good size river. We sit right on the ridge where there is a trail. We have done a poor job connecting so far but we see bucks using these trails during the rut. Even in mid day they cruise that trail come the rut.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:33 am

I think the spot you picked is better than the two arrows I drew in, that said. A good funnel has 2 definite features that funnel deer traffic through them. The blue line I drew would be the N/W feature/obstacle that would funnel the deer through it. Could be a creek, ditch, hill, water hole, etc. The green lines would be the deer traffic.

The inside bends of the river are usually cut banks which is good. The rest of the set up I don't care so much for. The area close to the river is open. I always see more buck movement in cover than open ground. This means you would have to go farther in from the river and and that reduces the neck down effect.

The area might be worth a sit or two and see what shakes out. I have seen worse places to sit. I pointed out two on the map. I did a thread on funnels a few years ago. You should do a search and check that thread out.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks for the input guy's.

Stanley thank you for marking up that map for me. What you drew was just about what I was thinking. The area along the river is not real open, it is all think red brush with dead cedars and other brush mixed in. There just isn't much of a canopy. When dan was up that is where we found the majority of the bedding. I was hoping to find a trail where you marked and hunt it.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Some bigwoods funnels.

logging

beaver dams or on the edges of lakes

river crossing
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Bucks will travel the natural terrain features that are easiest to traverse and ALSO the route that crosses the most doe trails.

Combine these two and you have a promising location.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”