Scouting Help

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tcarlson

Scouting Help

Unread postby Tcarlson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:29 pm

I was hoping a couple of Beast members could give me some input on this section of public marsh. The map is oriented North with prevailing winds out of the W to NW. To the NW of this section there's planted corn and both corn and beans to the East. The ag fields are located just outside the picture. I'm able to access this area from either the East or West. I haven't burned any boot leather in this area, so I don't know of any specific bedding. There's a lot of transition cover in this area giving me the impression there's good potential. My immediate thought is to scout these edges with stand on my back seeking hot sign and hunting it. Do other Beast members think this plan is viable and does anything in the ariel photo stick out as being more promising? Thanks for the help.Image

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting Help

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Looks like an awesome property. Your going to fight the deer a little on the western transition line. It has great bedding potential doing just what you mentioned, but I would expect a lot of deer to travel towards the corn until its gone.
When your looking at that transition look at all the spots with little points of trees jutting out into the cattails, I would expect buck beds right at the tips.
There also should be buck cruising in rut along that transition in the woods smelling the beds. Look for a parallel trail.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Lots of potential there, you can pretty much make out the deer trails moving from every point or island/patch of cover. They all likely hold some beds so its a matter of guessing until you can give it a good scout. Prime for a scout with the stand on your back and setup if you find some mature buck sign, or setup and hunt a point near a place where you can get a good view of the area for a hunt/observation sit.
Tcarlson

Unread postby Tcarlson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for the quick feed back, guys. Do either of you guy's save certain stand locations for sits during the rut? Initially when I found this location I thought to myself maybe wait on this spot until late October early November. At face value the area appears to have good funnels between large tracts of thick cover and cattails. I think it makes sense to impact the area once in the very near future to get a good feel for the area and hopefully a quality hunt on mature buck sign. Then hold off until the bucks start showing signs they're seeking. Does this sound like a good plan for a blind hunt with eyes toward the future?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Get in there and kill him now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”