Asking for permission

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Asking for permission

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:54 am

I was going to ask a handful of landowners if I could hunt their properties this weekend and was wondering if you guys bring along maps to look at with the landowner BEFORE getting permission? I think this could be helpful in explaining where I was thinking about hunting, but at the same time it could come across as a little creepy if I know all the land the landowner owns...I don't want to be too obtrusive..Maybe bring a map of the general area?

What is your approach on this?

Beartown18
500 Club

Re: Asking for permission

Unread postby Beartown18 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:08 am

I have never brought a map, that would really bother me as a landowner now if someone did to me. Others may have a different opinion on this and I can't really explain why it would bother me, but it would. But a map of the general area without property boundaries would probably be ok.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 am

Thats what I was thinking too, I am a little apprehensive about bringing a map of the general area too..
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:48 am

Not sure if you have ever read this thread but it is a good one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24090&hilit=permission+letter
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:54 am

Its probably too late now for you but I suggest having business type cards made up specifically for asking permission. I always had my name, address, phone #, vehicle plate # and vehicle description and a few other peices of personal information on them including where I worked.

I also always tried to mention having a limited time to hunt because of my 3 small children and how it is always nice to have a close spot to hunt. Add in an offer to help them out sometime if they need it and you might be golden.

Even if they say no leave the card. I have been called back more than one time after I left the property.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:43 am

knute78, I just so happen to have a contact in the printing business...I may have her whip somthing up for me!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”