Last online scout for my season.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Last online scout for my season.

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Ive been practicing online scouting for places Ive been to before. I find it most predictable when there is some swamp or wetland or water involved. This pic is of my uncles land, and surrounding land. Im having a hard time determining where to start here for going in blind spots, and for where to scout in season and after.

I have the aerial, topo, and hybrid. Any suggestions? The hills are throwing me off and not having swamp has me not knowing where to start. I marked the main access road, and an old logging road dotted in black. Im not sure if that old logging road is grown over or if you could fit a truck down it still. Not too much pressure in this area. Im doing a "going in blind" hunt here next weekend, and 3 more after that. I marked known food plots in green. Blue is area I can hunt. I shot my first deer here 20 years ago, so its a place Id like to hunt more, and be more successful, and the only place I can hunt with family. This is also where Ill be late season.

Chuck-C24
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DrCunico

Re: Last online scout for my season.

Unread postby Chuck-C24 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:36 am

There is not much for elevation change...at least for me & what I'm used to scouting, but the techniques taught in HILL COUNTRY BUCKS still apply. Dan said there are cases where just 20 feet in elevation change is enough for thermal activity and deer to bed based off of topography. And they also said topography based bedding is the most consistent...so once you find a prime bed on one of those points its one that deer will continue to use season after season.
[wave=blue]Dr. Charles C. DC[/wave]
Chuck-C24
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DrCunico

Unread postby Chuck-C24 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:28 am

There seems to be quite the area of transition from pine to hardwood...this is a good thing. Here is what I came up with, but would love to see what Dan & the other experts have in mind.

That's a pretty big piece of property! Awesome

[wave=blue]Dr. Charles C. DC[/wave]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:27 am

Good pic's chuck. 8-)
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks for the marked up drawing. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with bucks bedding on high ground around 2/3 up the ridges. Ive always associated big bucks in low areas, but maybe that why I've never been successful in areas w/o swamps. Im going to start checking the transition lines, and the spots/points marked on the map near the best sign on the edges. Thanks for the examples.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”