Camera on public

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Camera on public

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:59 am

How long do you normally keep cameras up while in season scouting? I put one up on some public over the weekend in a travel area I believe a buck is using and am nervous someone is going to steal it. Its in an area that is totally overlooked hunting wise and about 10 ft up in the tree, but i'm still paranoid lol.

Just feeling anxious about leaving it out there, but I only want to go back in to get that camera once and want to minimize the disturbance in the area.

Curious what your strategies/ thoughts are on this

whitetail_addict

Re: Camera on public

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:20 am

Well, considering you have it 10 feet up a tree in an "overlooked" area I think that's about all you can do to keep it hidden from other people on the land. How long it is there really makes no difference when you think about it; theoretically someone could happen to walk through there the next day and spot it, or it may not be spotted for a year.

As far as minimizing disturbance to the area, if I were you I'd wait for the right conditions to go in and check it but do so with a stand on your back and your bow in your hands and plan on picking a tree and hunting right then and there. You've already disturbed the area to some extent by putting the camera in there so going back in to pull it with the intent of going back in another time to hunt it is only decreasing your chances for early season success in my opinion.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:45 am

Thats a great idea to go in with a stand on your back, do you take an SD card viewer with you then and review photos before deciding to hunt the spot?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Thats a great idea to go in with a stand on your back, do you take an SD card viewer with you then and review photos before deciding to hunt the spot?

I like this idea.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
liv4rut

Unread postby liv4rut » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:44 am

When i scout public land i use 2 cameras. I put one where i want to see the deer and then i put one watching the cam i just put up (hidden). I never had one come up missing, but if i do, i will have the persons picture for sure.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:54 am

I think i'm going to give it a try. Now I have to formulate a game plan for this spot... The bed I found is right next to a parking lot where you can clearly see the cars and hunters entering the hunting area from the West - I think Dan has provided examples of spots like this in his videos. To the South is a road, North is fairly open fields of knee high grasses...East is the only option for sneaking up apparently! Going to be very hard to stay undetected from both deer and hunters (may have to take a roundabout way in)
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:56 am

liv4rut, that is an awesome idea!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”