Camera Placement Transition

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Camera Placement Transition

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 am

It's about that time of year when bucks start shedding their velvet and don't use mineral licks as much. Where do you guys like to sit your cameras up at this transition? Oaks,food plots, scrapes or funnels seem to be good ideas. I think scrapes would be a little early and hard to pinpoint exactly. I don't own food plots of any kind. Oaks are plentiful this year with all the rain. How do you guys keep tabs on your bucks at the time of year!?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Camera Placement Transition

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 am

Scrapes (mock/developed) is my favorite. A good corridor is 2nd. Water sources are 3rd.

I also run them in the oaks and food plots. In these cases, I prefer to run the camera in field scan. This is especially important in the oaks as the hot 'first hit' oak tree can move quiet a bit over a couple of weeks. It also helps keep your ground scent away from an area you want to hunt.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:54 am

I keep em on food sources till Oct 10ish.. then scrapes

Field edge scrapes with beans or alfalfa in the back ground is a good bet in Sept.... corn/timber corridors are also a good area to check... cameras on oak flats are a shot in the dark unless you have one or a few loan oak trees or a small woodlot (then it would be worth trying, but going in to check a cam in the timber is like hunting the spot with the ground scent you leave)

What I'm looking for is daylight pictures or right at dusk pics of buck I want to kill..... if I see that on cam I'm hunting that night... I will check the edge stuff at lunch time from a vehicle if possible not to leave ground scent all over
Last edited by Bucky on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:03 am

I like to keep mine on travel routes. I don't put any on food sources (but you should/could). I have one on a water source. Mineral licks will still work some right now. Does tend to visit them and they leave a lot of deer smell in front of the camera. A friend of mine puts most of his on licking branches.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:01 am

This is a really good topic. I have had some difficulty in getting consistent setups after the summer. I learned a ton just from the few responses so far.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:11 am

If legal on a pile of corn... Don't get overly aggressive and put them in your hunting spots or you will spook deer when you leave scent checking and setting.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm

I agree the mineral will soon shut off. I started making my own deer blocks a few years back. They have corn, sugars, honeys and some cereals, and a few other ingrediants. I cook them up and pour them into tins until they harden. Real cheap, and work real good.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 pm

I switch to mostly primary scrapes in early October. Between now and then I put them on field edges particularly alfalfa new seeding and on tight ditch crossing funnels leading into oak flats and such, on water if its dry. Overall on the food and use the results to target which bedding found in scouting will likely be used.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”