Latest Aerial Images Available?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Latest Aerial Images Available?

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:46 am

What sites do you guys use to get your latest aerial images?

The newest maps I can locate for a partial I am looking at is 04-2011

VT Outfitter

Re: Latest Aerial Images Available?

Unread postby VT Outfitter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:59 am

I have used topo maps for ever it seems. I started photo copying my clean topos and filling in the stand and trail info on the copies. I have also used google earth and print out a section of woods and write on that. One of my marketing affiliates has a link from their website to My Topo. www.outfittersrating.com high light resources and click on MY Topo. You can print free aerial pics from here. I have started playing around a bit with this mapping source. I would love to own some software that would allow me to overlay topo, weather, and aerial maps so I can mark stand sites and other info right on my computer and save the changes. I saw this program back in 2005 while working for an outfitter company in Illinois, but dam if I can remember the name of it. Anyone got an idea what I'm talking about?
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
www.whitetailstrategies.net
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks VT

I was searching for the newest satellite imagery I could find. So NOAA has the newest imagery I can find
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:52 pm

VT Outfitter wrote:I have used topo maps for ever it seems. I started photo copying my clean topos and filling in the stand and trail info on the copies. I have also used google earth and print out a section of woods and write on that. One of my marketing affiliates has a link from their website to My Topo. http://www.outfittersrating.com high light resources and click on MY Topo. You can print free aerial pics from here. I have started playing around a bit with this mapping source. I would love to own some software that would allow me to overlay topo, weather, and aerial maps so I can mark stand sites and other info right on my computer and save the changes. I saw this program back in 2005 while working for an outfitter company in Illinois, but dam if I can remember the name of it. Anyone got an idea what I'm talking about?

Not what the OP was looking for...but....with ArcGIS you can import topo and make it to where say you want to scout NW facing points because the wind primarily blows X direction. You can have it shaded to highlight certain features to narrow down POI.

Example....white oaks grow on X slope primarily. It can highlight those slopes....ok bedding is primarily on X facing slopes on Y wind. You can high light those. You can also make a layer for trails/roads/other human activities. Wlimi ate areas within a certain buffer of that (not to necessarily toss them out as they may be over looked areas within). Now you've narrowed it down more. Now you have a couple high lighted areas to check when the acorns are dropping based on x wind and Y slope.

Not it certainly isn't that easy andni haven't applied it to hunting, but have used it to map forest types and ground truth them.

Oh to have access to ArcGIS with the knowleg I've learned here. Of course you have to have access to all the applicable layers, but most county GIS departments have that data available

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Depends on the state. This was a map year for WI.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:58 pm

I typically use one of two mapping sites. Either Google Maps or Bing maps. Bing maps has good quality low aerials of some areas. Other areas kind of suck on Bing. I have also just noticed recently that CalTopo seems to be using some of those good Bing Images. Maybe?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”