New Property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GhillyGuy

New Property

Unread postby GhillyGuy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey yall,

I have recently been granted access to hunt a farm I have seen a good buck on. It has corn surrounding a woodlot of maples and oaks. The topography consists of several ravines and swamp. However, I am only restricted to using topos and google earth to pin point this guy because I have recently gone back to school (3.5 hours away). Does anyone have any suggestions of where some good ambush spots are to hunt this guy the the first week of October (opener) and also first week of Nov (rut)? Any help is much appreciated.

Also, the blue line roughly indicates the area I have permission to hunt. I have already placed dots of where I believe are potential good spots.

Thanks,

GG

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: New Property

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 am

I don't like your hunt positions... I think hunting in the vally that close to the ridge is a mistake. Bucks are going to be bedding on the points that are South west of the river. The bucks will be bedding on the tips of these points. 1st off they will see you, second there will be thermal air currents in the valley pulling your scent up to the bedded bucks. Third, your scent will swirl all over down there.
My stand positions would be most likely up top over looking the trails coming from the points.
tim
500 Club

Re: New Property

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:16 am

i agree with dan. BUT i will hunt some of those locations when the wind is 30+ MPH. in mornings once that thermal starts pulling up the hill those bucks will hook up that drawn out point and head up to bed. if you know there travel u might get away with intersecting them when they hook up the hill. ive seen it happen and almost closed the deal a few years ago on this exact setup. only my shot placement was a little too far forward on a slob. i dont feel safe on top when super windy anyway. i dont hunt the valley nearly like i used too though usually only on those super windy days (during the rut).

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”