Found my first buck beds....now what?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Found my first buck beds....now what?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:53 pm

I found my first "public land" buck beds while scouting last week in a marsh. I know its late, but Im practicing. The few beds I found, are not being used. No hair, not much for tracks but would be hard to see now if there was. The beds had a matted down area of pine needles where nothing was growing, up against a 6-8 inch tree, rubbed up pretty hard last season. It was a bed for sure, from a large buck. My question is, do I hunt this spot assuming he will or another buck will be back? I was planning on hunting opening weekend of bow (Oct 1). Is this too early for bucks to go back to beds they used last season? I wanted to hit it before duck season opened, but Im thinking that didnt bother this buck last year unless it was all made prior to Oct 5th duck season. All beds didnt have any other rubs within 60-80 yards, didnt look further to not mess up the area. What to do?

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Re: Found my first buck beds....now what?

Unread postby Florida » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 am

Unless you have a pile of other good spots, what do you have to lose? If this is your best spot, pick the right day and go for it. If he wasn't using it yet, he won't know you were there. Maybe he'll put up with your one time intrusion. Maybe another buck moves in. Worst case, he's not there and you can hit it late season, or try again next year. I am new to this, but the part of Beast hunting that I find most attractive is that once you find a good bed, you will always know where it is and I can add it to a growing repertoire of spots. As your list grows you can cherry pick the best spots based on conditions or fresh sign.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 am

A lot of beds are "seasonal"... Throw a stand up early season and see what happens... If nothing give it a shot during early rut... If nothing try again late season... I see timing a lot with bucks. Yea, primary bedding areas pay off all season, but even they tend to have the bigger bucks during certain time frames.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks for the feedback. That plan sounds great, I just kept hearing of the one and done sits guys here do. I'm making my own plan for this new area to maximize my learning, while hunting, and sitting beds in the evenings.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Does anyone set trail cams up on exit trails from a big bucks bed, Im talking maybe 50-100 yards away? Im planning on hunting a few beds a few times early mid and late season like mentioned above. Just curious if the cam would help figure out the timing when it starts to get used.Trying to determine how early season I should be. Its a fall bed, just not sure if the season, pressure, crops or other puts him down in certain beds. In fact, pretty much everything Ive found so far is not an active bed during summer, but had huge rubs in it or nearby telling me they were fall or late season beds. If someone steals my cam, Ill at least know other are going to the spot, and Im done with it then anyways.

The buck beds trigger thread is interesting too.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:07 pm

I think you would be risking showing your hand to get 50-100 yards from his bed. Checking trail cams, leaving scent, will send him packing to a new bedding area....just my opinion
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:14 am

backstraps wrote:I think you would be risking showing your hand to get 50-100 yards from his bed. Checking trail cams, leaving scent, will send him packing to a new bedding area....just my opinion

You are probably right. I can hunt this spot from the rivers edge, minimizing intrusion. Placing a cam would require getting in there and scent would be left as you mentioned. Im super pumped about 2 of these spots so Ill just hunt them early and late and see what happens. This year Ill be scouting the last 2 days of season too...and beast hunt then and there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”